Input on this saw?

bob493

2 minutes ago, drzaius said:

I've had too much frustration with Delta's parts issues to consider any of their tools. That was a few years ago, but I haven't read that it's improved any.

I have heard a lot of problems with this also.  Plus I would be a little skeptical of just a 2.5" port for dust collection on a table saw.

I did a ton of research before i bought my PM1000 and was about the buy the 36-5000 but wanted to buy a saw that would last the rest of my life. Knotscott recommends the 36-725 a lot which appears to be the little brother to this saw. Reviews on both the 36-5000 and 36-725 are favorable.

1 hour ago, bob493 said:

Im done playing with the 'vintage' table saw.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_631326-34340-36-5000_1z0wck2__?productId=50247159&pl=1

Any reason to not get this? I get 10% off too. Im a fan of bisemeyer fencing personally, and I want STRAIGHT cuts. I don't want/need anything else. Just a straight cut. Jigs make up the rest. 

I have read one review of this saw where the owner was satisfied.  Every other review I have read from an owner express various areas of dissatisfaction.  In looking at the saw myself out of curiosity I too would move on.  Even taking into account that the person who put the floor model together may not know the tool, there were too many sub-standard things about the machine for my liking at that price-point.

I have a 60% rule.  If after doing my research, the best I can find is no cheaper than 60% of what a much better tool costs, I save a little longer and get a good one ;-)  The "good" one may be one thing to one person and another thing to someone else but, you know what I mean . . .

I wouldn't pay $170 for a Woodcraft Low angle Jack when I could have a Lee Valley for about 40% more for example.  Nothing against anyone enjoying their Woodriver LAJ, its just an example. 

CSA ratings are held to a higher standard. They can't sell it in Canada without one. The saw you you are looking at only has a UL rating. An engineer taught me to look for the CSA rating because UL is funded by the companies they rate which doesn't appeal to me.

59 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Not difficult at all. Go to www.sawstop.com & take your pick :) 

Haha, lemme rephrase. Why is finding a decent table saw under 750$ so difficult... xD

54 minutes ago, TIODS said:

There are lots of viable saws out there if you're willing to plunk down the change for them.

And there is the crux of the issue :P

11 minutes ago, bob493 said:

Haha, lemme rephrase. Why is finding a decent table saw under 750$ so difficult... xD

And there is the crux of the issue :P

You're never going to find the SawStop or PM for your price range..

The Grizzly 715P is pretty close to your price range and a good saw.  Otherwise, you just keep surfing CL and being unhappy with your current situation.

I don't have experience with Grizzly's table saw but I have had one of their jointers for 20 odd years and only replaced the switch about 3 years ago.  I know there are a fair amount of people here that have the saws and are happy.  The other thing you get from Grizzly that you won't get from CL is a warranty.

Maybe the way to think of this is this is your "second to last" table saw purchase.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

Ive had a 715 in my shopping cart for a week, I just haven't been able to pull the trigger.  For the price range, no other saw can compete, from my research.

I certainly have no regrets.  You can spend your time pondering options or making sawdust..  I chose to make sawdust..

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

Just financial guilt really.  I've spent quite a lot on tools and on my car the past year or so.

Part of me wonders if it was a test when the wife said "don't sell the Domino, just buy the saw," lol.

I'll still get it I'm sure, I just need a couple beers first!

I think you may be in need of psychiatric help.  Your wife tells you it is okay and you still think you need beer for the decision?  I would be using the beer for refreshment will I unpacked my new saw, end of story.:P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bleedinblue said:

Just financial guilt really.  I've spent quite a lot on tools and on my car the past year or so.

Part of me wonders if it was a test when the wife said "don't sell the Domino, just buy the saw," lol.

I'll still get it I'm sure, I just need a couple beers first!

Stop on over..  Test drive mine and the beer is on me ;)