Cedar Slab Question

BrettD

Bit of a noob on slabs, so I am hoping you guys can tell me why this will fail. I have a dried cedar slab, 2 inch thick, 14 inches wide, around 7ish feet long at this point. I want to use it as an outdoor bar/leaning rail/ place to put your beer. If I mount it to a single pillar in the middle (attached to structure of the deck at the bottom) how bad will this thing warp on me. Anything I can do to prevent that by supporting underneath? It's in a tight spot and will be directly against the house  I think its also pretty narrow for a full table structure underneath since I want it ~40 inches high. Thanks again .

4 minutes ago, Merlau said:

i agree with mr cooper, cedar is pretty stable, support it as much as you can to keep where you want it.

11 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

With my somewhat limited experience with cedar, I think if it's sufficiently dried, as thick as it is, you shouldn't have a concern. Is there no way you can attach it to the house with 2 or 3 supports just to make sure?

Pretty much what I said..  Just use elongated holes to allow for wood movement.  Wood will expand across the grain.  Using the elongated hole with help prevent it splitting.  If you try to snug it in place without allowing for that movement, then you stand a good chance of it eventually cracking.

Thanks for the responses. Still in the design phase of this project and just want to head in the right direction. I would love to attach it to the house but ohhh the Condo Association....I don't actually own the outside of the house. Running power tools in the garage all weekend has drawn enough attention that I don't want to give them any more reason to hate me.

Been thinking about cutting dados along the length of the bottom and attaching steel with elongated holes. I got the Slab on trade for building a friend's deck so i'll see how it goes.

Again, thanks. Long time lurker, finally had something to post. 

8 minutes ago, BrettD said:

Thanks for the responses. Still in the design phase of this project and just want to head in the right direction. I would love to attach it to the house but ohhh the Condo Association....I don't actually own the outside of the house. Running power tools in the garage all weekend has drawn enough attention that I don't want to give them any more reason to hate me.

Been thinking about cutting dados along the length of the bottom and attaching steel with elongated holes. I got the Slab on trade for building a friend's deck so i'll see how it goes.

Again, thanks. Long time lurker, finally had something to post. 

Curious how you plan on getting it at the height you want?

If you're going to build uprights on each end, then attach solidly in the middle and elongate the two outside holes to allow for movement on each end.

1 minute ago, TIODS said:

Curious how you plant on getting it at the height you want?

If you're going to build uprights on each end, then attach solidly in the middle and elongate the two outside holes to allow for movement.

1 minute ago, wtnhighlander said:

Did I understand correctly, that you want to support it on a single 'leg' in the center? Unless you can sink that into some concrete, or otherwise make it rock solid, I think the bigger problem will be keeping it from tiping over if someone leans on it.

Essentially I have a ground level deck. The post will be hrough the deck and attached to a concrete footing with Simpson Hardware. The 6x6 would be mortised into the slab at the center. Also planning to put Corbels from the post toward the edges of the slab, but want to keep some legroom if possible. i'll have maybe 30 inches on either side of the post. 

Just now, BrettD said:

Essentially I have a ground level deck. The post will be hrough the deck and attached to a concrete footing with Simpson Hardware. The 6x6 would be mortised into the slab at the center. Also planning to put Corbels from the post toward the edges of the slab, but want to keep some legroom if possible. i'll have maybe 30 inches on either side of the post. 

I think you need one on each end rather than a single in the middle.

Also, since you can't attach to the side of the condo, how do you plan on supporting the inside?

1 minute ago, TIODS said:

I think you need one on each end rather than a single in the middle.

Also, since you can't attach to the side of the condo, how do you plan on supporting the inside?

I think I can make two posts work along the length, there is a hose bib and cabletv box I have to work around.  The Posts would be centered on the width of the slab, so they would be the only support. Its narrow, will be 14" or less after I put a straight edge along the back.

1 minute ago, BrettD said:

I think I can make two posts work along the length, there is a hose bib and cabletv box I have to work around.  The Posts would be centered on the width of the slab, so they would be the only support. Its narrow, will be 14" or less after I put a straight edge along the back.

I still don't understand how you're going to attach to the condo?  Unless you make a freestanding frame to support it?

Just now, TIODS said:

I still don't understand how you're going to attach to the condo?  Unless you make a freestanding frame to support it?

It wouldn't be attached to the house. Supported by a post (or two based on feedback) that are firmly anchored to the ground.

1 minute ago, BrettD said:

It wouldn't be attached to the house. Supported by a post (or two based on feedback) that are firmly anchored to the ground.

If you can attach to the house then, build 3 shelf brackets and forget the leg.  Think shelf on your wall just a little bigger.  Just elongate the holes to allow for movement.

Use a 6x6 or bigger post. Brace it to the deck on all 4 sides so it is rock solid.

Build a ladder that uses 2x6 or 2x8 for the rails and 2x4s as the rungs. You could taper the ladder sides smaller at each end to full width at the post in the middle. The rungs would be the size of the post width so you could screw the ladder sides to the post. Slot the holes for screws in the rungs to allow for expansion & contraction.

14" plank- 5 1/4 post and 2- 1 1/2" ladder rails = 2 7/8 each side .That should work.

13 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Use a 6x6 or bigger post. Brace it to the deck on all 4 sides so it is rock solid.

Build a ladder that uses 2x6 or 2x8 for the rails and 2x4s as the rungs. You could taper the ladder sides smaller at each end to full width at the post in the middle. The rungs would be the size of the post width so you could screw the ladder sides to the post. Slot the holes for screws in the rungs to allow for expansion & contraction.

14" plank- 5 1/4 post and 2- 1 1/2" ladder rails = 2 7/8 each side .That should work.

Perfect. Thank you Steve