Understanding Rasps

Ronn W

Found an article on making you own spoke Shave looks like a fun little project but I will need a rasp or 2 to shape the handles.  My online research is not helping me figure out what rasp(s) I need. 

So how are rasps graded?  Grain, TPI, teeth per sq. cm?

How to I compare different brands?

What would you recommend for a project like this?  I think $100 per file is a little steep for me.

Beyond this one project - If you only had 2 or 3 rasps, what sizes, shape and coarseness would you choose ( assume no real heavy duty wood removal)?

I'd go coarse, medium, fine. So maybe a 6 grain, 9, grain, 13 grain. Though you don't necessarily need a rasp to do this, you can use any method of shaping. You can power carve, you can chip carve and sand, etc. I've read people having good success with the Narex rasps. Auriou, and Logier rasps are  $100+ each. The difference is they are hand stitched versus machine stitched. Hardness, steel quality, etc also plays into the quality of the rasp. For what you're doing a nicholson rasp or Narex rasp will be more than sufficient. 

Here is a really good video from Chris Schwarz on rasps.  Explains the differences and what you need to get started.

I have a bunch of cheap rasps and I was given an Auriou 9" 10 grain for Christmas.  The Auriou is on a different level completely.  Cuts like a hot knife through melted butter. 

I have looked at Narex and Nicholson rasps on line.  I understand that there is quite a difference between machine and hand stitched rasps that has to do with the alignment of the teeth and thus the smoothness of cut.  It looks like the Narex are machine (CNC) stitched and that the Nicholson are hand stitched.  The teeth in pics of Nicholson files appear to me more randomly spaced.   Are these observations correct and does it really make a difference?

Hand stitched rasps are less uniform in position and therefor do not try to track like machined or machine stitched teeth (too regular).  I have a Nicholson 49 but, had to go through three of them to get one I would accept; really poor initial product and QA currently.  I have been happy with a Grobert #6 that I have had for awhile.

They take some getting used to but, I have a couple of Japanese Milled Tooth files that I find myself reaching for more than I would have thought.  If I had to limit it to 2 I would probably go with a Shinto (no, really . . . very versatile) and a #6 half round toothed on both surfaces.

I agree with Eric.  I know it is always tempting to save money but Auriou rasps are just plain awesome and you only "need" a few of them.  Yes they are addictive but you can easily and enjoyable get by with two of them.  I have a 9" 10 grain (or vice versa, can't remember) cabiner maker's rasp and a 13 grain modelers rasp.  

It makes no sense to me cheap out on this and try to save $50 when you can get the absolute best quality rasp imagineable for $110 or so.  This is truly one of the few bargains in woodworking.  

53 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I agree with Eric.  I know it is always tempting to save money but Auriou rasps are just plain awesome

+1  If you go with these pay attention when ordering, they are left and right handed.

• Like 1

I dug a little deeper into the Auriou and Liogier web sites.  I understand that both are excellent rasps.  Right now I and mulling it all over. Since I don't see a need for a very aggressive cuts right now, I am leaning towards Liogier and Mike's suggestion of a 10"- #9G cabinet makers and a 7" #13 modellers rasp.  Logier looks to be a little less expensive.  Chet, Thanks for the right - left handed reminder. AceHOleinOne - interesting.  I saw those at woodcraft and will now take a second look.

Thanks for all of your replies.

6 hours ago, mds2 said:

Here is a really good video from Chris Schwarz on rasps.  Explains the differences and what you need to get started.

I have a bunch of cheap rasps and I was given an Auriou 9" 10 grain for Christmas.  The Auriou is on a different level completely.  Cuts like a hot knife through melted butter. 

Neat video. Thanks for sharing. I always wondered how to pronounce Auriou. "RU"

• 3 weeks later...

So after playing with it for 30 min. or so, I'd say it takes it to comparable to 80 grt. sandpaper or so? One fine ma-chine mann! Now, how do you clean it , with a tooth pick, fine bristle dry paint brush or brass wire brush and what preventative do you take against rust?

25 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

After I bought the Auriou's, but after I did I couldn't afford their sustainers :wacko:

So true!