Powermatic 1300TX

Chestnut

I've found one of these for sale locally for $650. Article claims that it's never been used. I've been in the market for a DC for running on the Tablesaw and DW735. Is this overkill for a small shop? Could i get something that would work 75% as well for cheaper than what this guy wants? I really don't NEED to spend any more money I've gone a bit nutty tool wise this year.

http://www.powermatic.com/us/en/p/pm1300tx-ck-dust-collector-1-75hp-1ph-115-230v-2-micron-canister-kit/1791079K

Depending on what you do,  I'd say it isn't worth the price.  I have the 1.75hp pm dc unit and is not all that great. 

The downfalls I've found are

-when taking medium cuts on a wide board on the planer, I have had chips back up into the arched funnel thing at least five times.  I had to disassemble, clear the blockage with my arm up the chute then  clear the pipes. 

-the foam area the bag clamp attaches to is only about an inch wide so the 3/4" band has to be about perfect or you'll be blowing a huge cloud into the shop. After dozens of changes, I still have to try multiple times to seat it right. 

-the base has one plate with duffle 4" ports.  If you take that plate off hoping to move to a 6",you have a gaping 11" hole behind the stock plate to convert.

I almost bought that one too but decided to try the HF, and I'm not sorry at all. It does great or what I need. If you only have two tools that can use it, you can do the same thing I am, and move the hose from machine to machine. I use the Rocker Dust Right system to make it easier, and a 21' hose that collapses down to like 4'.

I almost bought that one too but decided to try the HF, and I'm not sorry at all. It does great or what I need. If you only have two tools that can use it, you can do the same thing I am, and move the hose from machine to machine. I use the Rocker Dust Right system to make it easier, and a 21' hose that collapses down to like 4'.

Don't know about the powermatic, but I have the same setup as Cliff and I am happy with the results, for what I paid for the DC. I did change the upper bag to a Wynn cartridge filter, so that did raise the total price a bit. Emptying the lower bag kind of sucks, but honestly it really only takes a total of 10 minutes (including the time it takes for me to lug the bag to the edge of the woods). It does a nice job on the dust from the table saw, planer, bandsaw, router, and drum sander. If my jointer was set up for good DC, I have no reason to believe it wouldn't work well for that too. Maybe if I had a bigger shop and bigger/better 2 stage collector I would change my tune, but I have no regrets with the HF.

I did contact the seller i was going to offer him $500 but it's been a while with no response so I'm assuming that he sold it. That saves me offending him and having to spend more than i wanted to.

I was always planning on going the HF DC route and building a thein baffle for it. I currently have a small baffle setup made for my shop vac and it works great. I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to do it but time will tell.

Yup the wrynn filter is pimp. Not to mention a super dust deputy and fiber drum. 

Do you have a dust deputy on your HF DC? I have been thinking about going this route on my DC, but two things are making me hesitate. 1. My floor space is absolutely maxed out, and I honestly don't even know where I'd put a fiber drum/garbage can. And 2. I am concerned about a loss of suction by adding more components, bends, etc to the line. Is that something I should consider? Not having to empty the bag every time I do a significant amount of milling would be nice.

Here's my HF dc, shop made stand with a separator.  Has worked for me well, of course I don't have a bunch of piping hooked up to it.  Didn't have much room in my shop and since I was moving, just had one hose and moved it to the machine I was using.  Whenever I decide to upgrade it'll be to a cyclone.  I plan on changing out to a better top bag or filter, but have heard adding the separator obviously makes you lose suction, but adding a better filter will counter that since the one it comes with is pretty crappy. 

9E2BBE45-8D96-42F4-8C8D-D64DF8BCC49E_zps

I found this and was considering asking if the guy was willing to ship it. but after looking at wryn filters it seems those are a better deal. @Gixxerjoe04 that's very similar to the setup i was thinking of making for myself with the HF DC though I'll probably go full homemade thein baffle. They are SUPER easy to make.

https://brainerd.craigslist.org/tls/5553494778.html

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I found this and was considering asking if the guy was willing to ship it. but after looking at wryn filters it seems those are a better deal. @Gixxerjoe04 that's very similar to the setup i was thinking of making for myself with the HF DC though I'll probably go full homemade thein baffle. They are SUPER easy to make.

https://brainerd.craigslist.org/tls/5553494778.html

Yea I was going to make mine but got lazy and picked the one up from woodcraft, I even cut all-thread that I got work to make it haha.  Yea that is a really good deal on one of those filters since they're $200 new, if he were anywhere close I'd go get one.  Where did you see the wynn filters at, when I was looking into them they're $175.

On 4/29/2016 at 5:47 AM, Ray said:

Do you have a dust deputy on your HF DC? I have been thinking about going this route on my DC, but two things are making me hesitate. 1. My floor space is absolutely maxed out, and I honestly don't even know where I'd put a fiber drum/garbage can. And 2. I am concerned about a loss of suction by adding more components, bends, etc to the line. Is that something I should consider? Not having to empty the bag every time I do a significant amount of milling would be nice.

It hasn't hampered my suction at all as far as I can tell. But I don't have it set up for multiple tools. It's good enough that I can't see any dust or chips come off the jointer or the planer. And the separation works beautifully.