Now That's a Dust Collector !!!

woodbutcher74

One of my customers for my real job is Hon Manufacturing. They make office furniture. These cyclones draw the dust and debris from the milling machines and load directly into semi trailers. The duct work is big enough to crawl through. Just thought you guys might get a kick out a real dust collection system. They mill mostly MDF and you could eat off the floors. No dust anywhere inside. No masks required.

IMG_20160418_112015994 (1).jpg

• Like 1

When i graduated i applied to be a permit regulator for the MPCA. I basically would have went around and checked permits for industrial buildings. Part of me wishes i would have tried harder to land that job. Industrial bag houses and pollutant filtration systems are interesting.

Meh. My workplace sports 2 "dust collectors", one of 2000 hp, the other has 4000 hp. And dust will still cover the floor inside to a depth of 8-10" in less than a month, if it isn't swept up on a daily basis.

Google Earth to 35.727932,-88.812089 to see them from space.

Steel recycling is a dirty, dirty business.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Meh. My workplace sports 2 "dust collectors", one of 2000 hp, the other has 4000 hp. And dust will still cover the floor inside to a depth of 8-10" in less than a month, if it isn't swept up on a daily basis.

Google Earth to 35.727932,-88.812089 to see them from space.

Steel recycling is a dirty, dirty business.

That looks to be a pretty sizable facility Ross

9 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Ha! I hadn't seen those photos. Looks like someone may be posting pics from our construction drone.

Pretty sure it is radar and satellite photo overlay. Just zoomed in Google Earth. They capture from overhead and oblique angles and so you can get some sides of buildings. This seems like it pegged your facility as a village and constructed a badly textured wireframe. 

Just did some "back of the napkin" calculations...

At a typical electrical rate of 10 cents per kilowatt hour, I came up with $931,008 to run both of those (total 6000HP) for 40 hours a week for a year.

Wow, a million bucks just to run the DC!

Just did some "back of the napkin" calculations...

At a typical electrical rate of 10 cents per kilowatt hour, I came up with $931,008 to run both of those (total 6000HP) for 40 hours a week for a year.

Wow, a million bucks just to run the DC!

Actually, our electic bill exceeds $1.25M per month.

And our rate is well below $0.10 / kwh.

Actually, our electic bill exceeds $1.25M per month.

And our rate is well below $0.10 / kwh.

AYFKM......

What are you manufacturing to pay that,  crack? 

Twisted Steel and Sex Appeal, baby! ?

My plant is considered a "mini" mill. We recycle scrap steel and produce long bar products, angles, channels, flats, etc...

It is a VERY high cash flow industry.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Twisted Steel and Sex Appeal, baby! ?

My plant is considered a "mini" mill. We recycle scrap steel and produce long bar products, angles, channels, flats, etc...

It is a VERY high cash flow industry.

Like I thought.  Crack.. crazy kids.