Crest rail in bent zebrawood?

Willin

Saw a bench-seat-chaise in a model home we liked, done in zebrawood.  Photos attached, plus a pic of my Sketchup model for same.

I was wondering how the crest rail might have been made.  It is in two pieces with a joint to the L of the wishbone back piece.  Might it have been steam-formed?  And done so after being joined?  What other alternatives might there be for doing this.

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG

2016-04-25_2115.png

IMG_0176.JPG

How many pieces are the curved piece made of?

It is possible that the guy chose a piece of zebrawood that had a curved grain pattern, and simple cut the circular shape out of it. Being that zebrawood is a very tightly grained wood, there would be less concern of strength. 

The bench is kind of cool but clearly the stager did not "get it."  I love he/she felt the need feminize it a bit with the fluffy pillow and books.  Its like putting a doily on a nakashima table. 

2 hours ago, Eric. said:

Well I hope if you're gonna build one of these you make some aesthetic changes.  It's nicely crafted and the zebrawood looks cool, but it's about the most hideous design I've ever seen.  Makes no sense visually.

That is my opinion as well. I actually flinched a bit when I saw the photos.

It seems the consensus that zebrawood will not bend well, so it was likely done as a build-up of parts joined, then sawn and shaped.

My hardwood source has zebrawood in 4/4 and 8/4.  I am going down tomorrow to get some cherry for a project, and might take a look at some zebra when there.

Here are some more views of my Sketchup model of the piece.

2016-04-28_1008.png

2016-04-28_1009.png

2016-04-28_1009_001.png

2016-04-28_1010.png

I get it now!

3 hours ago, Eric. said:

Well I hope if you're gonna build one of these you make some aesthetic changes.  It's nicely crafted and the zebrawood looks cool, but it's about the most hideous design I've ever seen.  Makes no sense visually.

3 minutes ago, AceHoleInOne said:

So how the hell are you to sit on that thing? One leg down with foot on the floor. The other leg up flat on the seat, toes pointed to ceiling. Can you say ........crotch shot:blink:

-Ace-

you don't sit on it.  you reserve it for guests that you don't want to stay too long. 

10 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Ace I think this more your thing. image.png

Mike, come on now! Take a look at the left hand. :rolleyes: I must say though, you do have a keen eye and I like you for that. However, this has nothing to do with the layout of the bench and seating position. You must do better. :D

-Ace- 

Just now, AceHoleInOne said:

Mike, come on now! Take a look at the left hand. :rolleyes: I must say though, you do have a keen eye and I like you for that. However, this has nothing to do with the layout of the bench and seating position. You must do better. :D

-Ace- 

That left hand is not hers.  She sat on some poor guy and that hand is his cry for help.