Miter Station

..Kev

I am going to be real interested in this Kev.  I am on my second generation miter station but need to get the third generation going.  It was pretty good with the Porter Cable saw that I had, but with the new 12" Bosch Glide I am not happy at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chet K. said:

I am going to be real interested in this Kev.  I am on my second generation miter station but need to get the third generation going.  It was pretty good with the Porter Cable saw that I had, but with the new 12" Bosch Glide I am not happy at all.

If I miss any details along the way that you want to see, chime in and I'll grab some pics and get them posted..

This is interesting to me also.  I have finished the redesign on my shop and am about to begin outfitting the inside which will include a miter station.  Since I am new to woodworking I love looking at what others have found to work as I go along.  Thanks for sharing look forward to watching!

Bueno!  This will be great.  Without the explanation one would have thought the "before" pic looked pretty cool. I find hearing about other people's uses and experiences with their shop setups highly valuable.  I rarely watch a rebuild or a reorg where I don't pick up something that I can apply to my own space.  thanks for taking the time to document your rebuild.

3 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Woo hoo ! It's been forever you have done a journal, or atleast it feels that way !! I'm pumped. This will take you like three days, what's next !!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Probably cranking out the Christmas gifts for this year..  I'll also be taking measurements and getting the CV ordered.

• Like 1

Got a bit of a late start this morning, decided to sleep in!

First order of business is to replace the 2 cabinets in the corner that were ultimately a catch all for a bunch of stuff that can/will live someplace else in the shop. 

I decided to replace it with 1 large (3 bay) Festool cabinet.  Some creative clamping got it square.  Dadoes for the center dividers.

n8eJSz.jpg

Next up, I cut and installed the vertical dividers for the 3 bays.  Then located and installed the individual pull outs for all the FT gear.  I'll trim this out in place.  Now I'm ready to demo the rest of the old bench and start building everything back up.

QWoqjr.jpg

Finished up the demo and set the cabinet in place.  The top of the center bay will be a couple drawers for router bits and accessories since it's right next to the router table.

2NZSkY.jpg

Kind of slow going but, it's a PITA to have the shop cluttered up and so many things not in their home..  Spending more time looking for X than using it!  Also, the plan is purely in my head so, some details get overlooked until you run into them!

Been a long day and the Draft is on so, will hit it again tomorrow and get the station up and running.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Looking good Kev. Did you put finish on it? In the last picture it looks like there is a sheen on it. And is is glued and screwed?

The Birch ply has a pre finish on it.  Comes that way from my dealer.  

Yes, glued and screwed.  No reason to get fancy as none of it will be seen.

1 hour ago, gee-dub said:

Looking good.  I actually enjoy building some things by the seat of my pants.  I seem to get more creative ;-)  I will toss out that full extension (or even over-travel) hardware is a blessing for shop cabinets.

All the pull outs are on full extension glides and the drawers will be as well.

The import prefinished birch is fine for shop cabinets and other utility uses but the quality of the face veneers can contain flaws. It's also not always the flattest ply so prepare to deal with some cupping and twisting.

Domestic prefinished (if you can find it or order it )costs more but has very nice faces and stays flat. I like to build cabinets with it and then you only have to finish the exterior.

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

The import prefinished birch is fine for shop cabinets and other utility uses but the quality of the face veneers can contain flaws. It's also not always the flattest ply so prepare to deal with some cupping and twisting.

Domestic prefinished (if you can find it or order it )costs more but has very nice faces and stays flat. I like to build cabinets with it and then you only have to finish the exterior.

Thanks Steve..  There's a lot of support for the top so, I'm not expecting any issues there.  It is expensive stuff but, I also find that I pay a little higher price for lumber here than most of the rest of you  do.