grizzly G0715P vs delta 36-5100 vs rigid r4512

rudsro

I have been rattling my brain over which one of these saws will be the best investment of my money. My choices being the Grizzly G0715P hybrid saw, the Delta 36-5100, "and not high on my list for continuing issues I have heard of" but the Rigid R4512. my largest concerns being the accuracy of the saw over time and the durability/warranty of the saw to last. I have the power to do 220 for any of these saws.  I have yet to find much info on the Delta  other then what is stated on the website one thing i did notice was the depth of cut at 90 was deep enough to make it through a standing 2x4 which would be nice for ripping stock down with out the band saw. Things i could use some advice on are the customer service, Fence quality, if the issues with the rigid have been fixed and is it worth it, and overall user opinions on these machines. Any advice would be greatly appreciated so lets hear it.

http://www.deltamachinery.com/products/new-5000-series-table-saw/item/36-5100?category_id=113

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/10-inch-cast-iron-table-saw

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0715P?utm_campaign=zPage

I don't know much of anything about that Delta, it's not discussed enough.  The 0715P is exceedingly popular.  The 0715P had the same alignment issues the Ridgid had.  Lots of people say Grizzly fixed their problem, I haven't seen any posts saying if Ridgid has.  The Ridgid and Delta are both contractor saws and the Grizz is a hybrid...it stands to reason the heavier hybrid will be sturdier and have more mass to fight vibration.

I am currently upgrading my older Ridgid contractor saw to a 0715P, which will be here as soon as tomorrow. 

Thanks for the input best of luck with the saw I hope everything is nice and square for you and has no alignment issues and you can give me a good review, that way I can finally quit looking and just get one coming. I tend to do too much research if that is possible before buying.

Thanks this is really the first forum I've ever joined I'm hoping being here will help keep my ambition/motivation high in the shop. But we'll see I just hope in the next few days i get enough people with good opinions to make a decision easily and get this beast ordered.

1 minute ago, rudsro said:

Thanks this is really the first forum I've ever joined I'm hoping being here will help keep my ambition/motivation high in the shop. But we'll see I just hope in the next few days i get enough people with good opinions to make a decision easily and get this beast ordered.

Take a read thru the older posts (this year).  There are several pages about table saws.  If you're on a budget, then the 715 is probably the best bang for the buck at the bottom end of the scale.  Prices go up from there and end up with the Powermatic 2000 and the SawStop.  Yes, you can go above those but, judging by your original question, I assume you're in a similar boat to most of the rest of us.

There's other considerations as well..  How much space do you have, what do you expect from the saw, what is your budget, etc..  

• Like 1

Those Rigid saws.. on reddit every few days someone buys one and has to take it back. Most people recommend testing the alignment in the parking lot. You'll see lots of stuff about it being resolved, or make sure you get one after a certain date, but as far as I can tell it's all BS.

Welcome.

I'd say it's between the delta and the grizzly. For how much that delta costs the griz is the way to go. You'll get a better saw for a better price. Also adding a mobile base to cabinet style hybrid saws is easy if the mobility is something your after. I have 2 HTC2000 mobile bases and will buy a third for the next tool.

There is Jet, Laguna, Powermatic, and Sawstop. In their respective order approximately for price and subjective quality (I'd say Powermatic and Sawstop quality wise are pretty much even with one having a unique feature). There are some more obscure brands like General International, but they are kind of unproven.

4 minutes ago, minorhero said:

The ridgid and delta both have sheet metal wings on the table while the grizzly has cast iron.  This to me is a really simple one,  The grizzly is a superior saw.

The delta that he is looking at has the cast iron wings not the stamped steel ones. It's also more expensive than the griz.

That Ridgid has made so many people unhappy cause they happened to get one of the bad ones that I'd stay away from it.

I'll spare you my rant about Delta about how their poor/nonexistent customer service, parts availability that is even worse, and that they are always promising tools that never appear... Oh, I guess I didn't spare you my rant. At least that was the short version. Anyway, I'd never buy another Delta product.

I had a Jet contractor saw that was very good. A lot of people say that Grizzly is good value. Powermatic & SawStop are very good.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

There is Jet, Laguna, Powermatic, and Sawstop. In their respective order approximately for price and subjective quality (I'd say Powermatic and Sawstop quality wise are pretty much even with one having a unique feature). There are some more obscure brands like General International, but they are kind of unproven.

The delta that he is looking at has the cast iron wings not the stamped steel ones. It's also more expensive than the griz.

Your right it does say that in the description.  Hilariously it has a picture of the sheet metal wings. I guess that tells you a little about their attention to detail. 

I've been using the Ridgid 4512 since June... No alignment issues on the unit I bought, and I really tried to find something wrong with it while it was still in the returnable period. There are two "fixes" that were done for the issue - the first is a new casting for the trunnions, and the second is a foam block bracing the motor for shipping. Mine had both, and seems to be fine, but obviously some saws are not. For me, I couldn't beat it for the money, but I would have considered the grizzly had it been reasonably available (pretty hard to get in this part of Canada).

Overall, I've got no complaints with the saw - I've been really happy. That being said, it's not as heavy or robust as a real cabinet saw, but it's never been an issue for my purposes.

Well I'm glad to hear that someone at least is getting good use out of the Rigid saw and their LSA. I personally don't think that will be the saw that I go with just to try my best to buy only one saw and not have an issue with it. So I believe the grizzly table saw Will probably be the saw that I'm going to make the jump on.

I'd drop the R4512 from contention for three reasons....it's in the same price range as the 36-725, which essentially has the same design as the 36-5100, the 36-725 has a better fence IMO, and the R4512 had a history of alignment issues on several units.  Those issues have supposedly been resolved, but since the 36-725 is an option, I see no advantage of the R4512 over it, unless the 36-725 is not available to you.

The 36-5100 adds a single piece front rail, cast iron wings, and a 15 amp motor to what is otherwise the 36-725.  There don't seem to be many in the field yet, so info is hard to come by, it's basically the 36-725 with nicer trim and beefier motor.  The question for me is value...it's price puts it against some pretty nice saws....G0715P, G0771, Jet Proshop 708492K (on sale).

The G0715P initially had the same alignment issues as the R4512 and Cman 21833...all had similar designs under the hood.  They've also supposedly been fixed.  The G0715P offers a full enclosure, nice t-square style fence, solid wings, and a lot of mass.  Grizzly's warranty is shorter, but their CS is well known to be excellent....reliability studies will tell you that if something's going to go wrong, it'll generally happen very early on in it's service life, so the 1 year warranty should cover most issues.  

The Jet Proshop mentioned above is a well proven saw (similar guts as the Laguna Fusion but with a better fence), but it moves you into a higher price range unless you find a good sale price (which ended a few weeks ago).  Once you get near that price range, since you have 220v, the G1023RL or G0690 come into play....those are both significantly more substantial saws than any of the hybrids or hybrid style contractor saws mentioned.  That doesn't mean a good hybrid or contractor saw won't serve you well, but the 3hp industrial cabinet saws seem to be the most bang for the buck to me.    

Typical hybrid under the hood:

g0478_zps8094f304.jpg  

Delta hybrid under the hood:469510.jpg

G0690 under the hood:

611AjHYYFdL._SL1000_.jpg

77057d1376220650-table-saw-help-g0690.jp

G1023RL under the hood:

g1023rl_det2.jpg

Mr Knott, I spent quite a few hours back and forth between lowes and home depot between the rigid and delta. The fence on the delta looks great, but isn't anywhere near as solid as the rigid's. The top also felt "funny", i don't really know how to describe the differences from a quantitative standpoint, but the rigid "felt better". The miter gauge on the rigid also felt more substantial. Not saying the delta isn't a decent saw, but it LOOKS better than it feels, if that makes any sense. 

Brought the rigid home today, blade variance is +/- 1 thousandth, which is pretty damn ok for me. Everything is pretty square. The only issue I have is the motor starts pretty damn hard.  I have to dial in the squareness of the blade to the fence a bit (its literally less than 1 degree), but thats a five minute job, im just being lazy right now.

I have zero doubts the grizzly is the superior saw, but after shipping, lack of a discount, it winds up being over double the price compared to the rigid for me.

• Like 1

I'll echo some previous comments with owners of the Ridgid. I've had it about two years now and no issues with alignment or anything. Only issue out of the box was a twisted wing (which may have been my fault) and they sent a new one out right away after a 90 second phone call.

I really like how mobile it is. Just wish I had wired it up for 220 right away.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will chime in. I purchased the G0715p last September. Long story short, it is going back this week. The alignment problem still exists. I spend hours on multiple occasions trying to align the damn thing only to discover the blade kicks out of alignment whenever you raise or lower it.