Fenced in

collinb

There are things I like about the Accusquare that came with my saw.

But I noticed the other day that when I slide a large sheet through, any angle to the sheet can cause the end of the fence to move.

IOW, it doesn't lock down on the back side.  Only on the front.  ON the back is a block which acts as a guide and nothing more.  Not cool.

Thoughts on resolving this?  I'm thinking first cutting another block to take its place, one that is cut so that it rides closer but only touches when clamped down.  Am also contacting the company.

fence.jpg

A t-square style fece has to be self-supporting to be reliable.  There are many fence designs (think Incra or Align-a-Rip) that grip front and rear to remain light in weight and still pride reliable service.

A fence that flexes is an invitation to kickback. I think Ace has an easy and reliable fix. A good tip for anyone in this situation.

I don't have an Accusquare fence, but looking at pictures of the fence makes me wonder where the flex is?

One option is to modify the fence with a "better" clamp to go against the fence. you can make it out of angle iron with a drill and a hacksaw. Make it wider than the original and add a second screw clamp to the right of center that you can engage when you are ripping longer stock

3060a-0611.jpg

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

If you have a quality fence and your saw is tuned properly, you won't have these issues.  I've told you how to resolve all of your table saw woes, Collin.

At what point do you start valuing your time as much as your money?

You should just add a couple of autoreplies to your profile:

"If your tool isn't working throw it away and buy a Festool or Powermatic"

"If you are looking at any used tool, don't bother - just buy a brand new Festool or Powermatic"

The comments which intend to assist are appreciated.

Yup, Eric is being foolish. Why buy a new one when you can always tie it down with twine. You're welcome.

I don't have to defend my personal finances to anyone here.

In my short time here I have asked some serious questions and had a little fun. Learned a lot, too.

So unless you two have some cause for such rudeness ...

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

I don't have an Accusquare fence, but looking at pictures of the fence makes me wonder where the flex is?

One option is to modify the fence with a "better" clamp to go against the fence. you can make it out of angle iron with a drill and a hacksaw. Make it wider than the original and add a second screw clamp to the right of center that you can engage when you are ripping longer stock

If you have a quality fence and your saw is tuned properly, you won't have these issues.  I've told you how to resolve all of your table saw woes, Collin.

At what point do you start valuing your time as much as your money?

You should just add a couple of autoreplies to your profile:

"If your tool isn't working throw it away and buy a Festool or Powermatic"

"If you are looking at any used tool, don't bother - just buy a brand new Festool or Powermatic"

The flex happens as you approach the far end, on the back side.

I'm not certain that such auto replies would be effective.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Collin, in all seriousness and I'm not taking any side of the fence (no pun intended), having a quality fence makes all of the difference in the world, both with safety and quality of work. When I rip a board, I can concentrate on the cut and my fingers and not have to worry about the other end of the fence moving. JMO

• Like 1

There seems to be this idea that if someone doesn't agree with the advice being given, then they are not being helpful. This is at least the fourth instance I've seen this in the last month. There are likely many more, but I don't have the time or interest to read every post in every thread.

How about just saying that you don't agree with the advice, instead of insulting the person that took their time to give it. Eric happens to be quite knowledgable on such things. It's why he is a Mod here. He's said things I don't agree with, and I flat out say that I don't agree with it. However, constantly rigging up power tools is asking for trouble. Nobody here is saying you need a brand new $6000 tablesaw. Simply advising against the safety issues that are going to happen if you continue to tempt fate.

• Like 2

Oh and Collin.. I'm not rich and i am fortunate to have had a lot of my tools given to me. But for quite a few years I used a dewalt contractor saw and It's not that expensive! But it was safe and didn't vibrate and wobble...Between Christmas, some birthday cards and a change jar you can have one too. So don't act like you don't enjoy putting string and bubble gum on your tools and then blame us when we offer great advise. 

Just now, Janello said:

What you don't get is, Eric's comment IS intended to assist, and you were rude by shrugging it off as though he has no clue what he is talking about.. One of these days, your going to get seriously hurt playing bubble gum and tape on a power tool that should be tuned properly. 

I don't care what your finances are, the doctor bill will be more than saving for a safe tool that won't kick back or vibrate or any other of the numerous problems you've had with it. 

You chose an expensive hobby and cutting corners and half assed fixes can lead to loss of limb. You can keep dumping money into an old abused truck that is dangerous to drive, or you can save that money for a low budget car that's good on gas but doesn't have bald tires and a front end that wanders all over the road. Any good mechanic would tell you the same as any good woodworker aka Eric. It's not being rude, it's being realistic.

Shrug it off?  No. Assume he has no clue? Not in the least. Dismiss it (and yours) for its tone? Yes.

In case the two of you didn't notice, and that seems obvious, this question was intended to fix something that is inadequate.  I don't want to get hurt (again).  My two digit injuries, while not totally destructive, made me alert.  Hence my work on this fence question. 

If the fence can be secured *properly* why buy new/another? If it can't then that's another question.

Whoever said precise work cannot be done with simple equipment?

1 minute ago, Eric. said:

Yeah because that's always my advice.  Like never.  Have you seen my shop?  You do realize I have plenty of tools that are NOT Festool and Powermatic right?  Who's generalizing now?

If you insist upon labeling me, it's this one...

"If you find you're spending more time working on a tool than with a tool, it's time to replace it."

And junk just ain't fun to work with, plain and simple.

It's your life, waste it if you wish.  Carry on.

I think those statements were meant not to quote but to convey the perception of tone that, at times, permeates conversation.

Do you consider this type of equipment to be "junk" in principle or because it needs a little help?  It's old and needs tuning up but it's hardly ready for the scrap heap. It's certainly  not Charlie Brown's Christmas tree.

The saws picture: I started with the one in the back.  Certainly a hobby-grade piece of hardware. It just wouldn't cut the oak I had and those stamped wings were insufficiently flat.  Though the one in front is somewhat better (flat and more powerful) I understand that it is not near being production shop grade equipment.  But it is more easily tuneable and so far has served me well.  I'll upgrade when it does not do the job that I need it to do. I can make accurate cuts with it.  And f I put a few dollars into it, no big deal.  I can easily sell it for more than I have in it, including upgrades. But until then, it's like my used cars.

I enjoy both driving my car and working on it (to a limited degree, not the internal stuff) to keep it running well. I don't do bearings or springs or shocks but will do plugs, pads, and rotors. I don't measure my time comparing how much I tinker with it to how much I drive it.  It's a '98 with some rust.  But it runs very, very well.  Had to replace the blower motor the other day.  Of course I could just sell it and by another with fewer problems ... but if I behave myself with it then I'll know how to treat it for both pleasure and safety. 

saws.jpg

IMG_20160426_132714746.jpg

9 minutes ago, collinb said:

Do you consider this type of equipment to be "junk" in principle or because it needs a little help?  It's old and needs tuning up but it's hardly ready for the scrap heap.

Like I said, it's junk when you spend more time working ON it than WITH it.  And IMO, you've reached that point and gone beyond.

If you wanna go with the car analogy...would you continue to sink $450 a month in that Mercedes if it kept breaking down, or would you just spend that money on a new one?  No-brainer, right?  If every time I go out in the shop I have to do some maintenance on a machine before I use it...and I was still a little scared every time I turned it on...that's junk.  And I'd be moving on.  But time is just as valuable as money to me, probably more so.  So maybe my priorities are not aligned like yours are.  I don't have time to deal with junk tools.  My time is precious and I wanna spend it woodworking, not playing mechanic.

9 minutes ago, Janello said:

... So don't act like you don't enjoy putting string and bubble gum on your tools and then blame us when we offer great advise. ...

Ho hum.

13 minutes ago, Llama said:

There seems to be this idea that if someone doesn't agree with the advice being given, then they are not being helpful. This is at least the fourth instance I've seen this in the last month. There are likely many more, but I don't have the time or interest to read every post in every thread.

How about just saying that you don't agree with the advice, instead of insulting the person that took their time to give it. Eric happens to be quite knowledgable on such things. It's why he is a Mod here. He's said things I don't agree with, and I flat out say that I don't agree with it. However, constantly rigging up power tools is asking for trouble. Nobody here is saying you need a brand new $6000 tablesaw. Simply advising against the safety issues that are going to happen if you continue to tempt fate.

I just never considered "junk," "string and bubble gum," and other similar remarks to be constructive.

Safety I understand.  One thumb in the ER is more than enough. 

Of course he is knowledgeable. I've not questioned his skill set at all. Never will. Only his tone.

The problem here is that in the past I've posted some less-than-serious material that apparently has been taken seriously.  Perhaps I need to contextualize my posts to better accommodate.  (Anyone here really think I'm using that outfeed with twine as a long-term solution? Really?)

I don't know if I really want to get involved in this, but Colin, as you wrote you have had 2 injuries already, I would think that you would be hyper sensitive to safety.  I have a Porter Cable contractor saw and when first set up I didn't like the fence, instead of never being happy or hoping to avoid an injury, I bought a Vega fence and is a lot better, this may be an option for you, really is a modest upgrade.

I feel that both John and Eric were giving sound advise, and no matter what the perceived tone is, more experienced people taking time to give advise or point out something that may be "stupid" or unsafe is a good thing.  I have been on several forums where the advise given isn't always what I want to hear, but 8 out of 10 times they were right.  A lot of times I wish I would have taken that advise and save myself the struggle, loss of time and money in the first place.

Just now, Eric. said:

Like I said, it's junk when you spend more time working ON it than WITH it.  And IMO, you've reached that point and gone beyond.

If you wanna go with the car analogy...would you continue to sink $450 a month in that Mercedes if it kept breaking down, or would you just spend that money on a new one?  No-brainer, right?  If every time I go out in the shop I have to do some maintenance on a machine before I used it...and I was still a little scared every time I turned it on...that's junk.  And I'd be moving on.  But time is just as valuable as money to me, probably more so.  So maybe my priorities are not aligned like yours are.  I don't have time to deal with junk tools.  My time is precious and I wanna spend it woodworking, not playing mechanic.

Since you're not around my lifestyle, I would suggest that your first conclusion lacks sufficient evidence.  To the second point, sometimes you do what you have to do to get by.  Perhaps longer than one wishes.  Ever try to get the most out of a tool -- the maximum that it was designed to give?  Reach the end of its capacities before upgrading? As much with the car as with the shop.

If you do woodworking for your livelihood then our systems differ greatly.  Still, I wonder about workday postings if time is so valuable.

That said, for my efforts the last 2 years has been the process of figuring things out. You know -- just learning the names of the tools and seeing what saws are good or bad, tuning a plane, learning about woods and stains, and so much more.  I've learned enough over the last year (partly from this group) that this Spring has been my for getting the tools in shape to work. You might be able to maintain your tools on the spot.  I don't have that luxury.  Once it's all in tune (the theme of this post) then I will be making things. That's not too far away. 

I wish there was an "ambivalent" emoticon because I would have added it to the original comment.  But there isn't one.  So I'll just add...I don't care what you do with that saw.  You asked for advice and mine was "get a new saw."  It wasn't a joke or an insult, it's the best advice I had to offer and I think the best advice you'll get.

Here you go...does this make it feel better?

coffee_drinker.gif

It's junk. It was junk 25 years ago when it was marketed for harvey homeowners. Now that it has many years of use and outdated technology it's super junk. It's an accident waiting to happen. If my father was using that saw I would plead for him to sell it and buy a newer contractor grade saw.

This is the good advise you took so personal, hence why I got smart ass. 

1 minute ago, Eric. said:

I wish there was an "ambivalent" emoticon because I would have added it to the original comment.  But there isn't one.  So I'll just add...I don't care what you do with that saw.  You asked for advice and mine was "get a new saw."  It wasn't a joke or an insult, it's the best advice I had to offer and I think the best advice you'll get.

Here you go...does this make it feel better?

coffee_drinker.gif

Just now, Janello said:

It's junk. It was junk 25 years ago when it was marketed for harvey homeowners. Now that it has many years of use and outdated technology it's super junk. It's an accident waiting to happen. If my father was using that saw I would plead for him to sell it and buy a newer contractor grade saw.

What, then, would you recommend that a novice get?  I'll need it to be large enough for sheets and have a good fence.  (I can sell this for probably $300 around here.)

Just now, Gixxerjoe04 said:

Why isn't there a "guy eating popcorn" emoji? :wacko:

Reminds me of a scene in Galaxy Quest.

5 minutes ago, collinb said:
8 minutes ago, Janello said:

What, then, would you recommend that a novice get?  I'll need it to be large enough for sheets and have a good fence.  (I can sell this for probably $300 around here.)

Bosch and Dewalt both make great contractors saws. Mine served me well for quite a few years. I would cut sheet goods with a strait edge and a worm drive circular saw until I could afford a track saw. I did both of these for years.... never worried about losing a finger and never had to tune my equipment. (besides the occasional slight adjustment) and built some damn fine stuff with it.

You'll also get the added benefit of better dust collection.