Trip to the lumberyard

shaneymack

Nice buy.  Got any particular plans for any of it?

Oh boy, big question....

Well once im done the tool chest I will spend a few months doing boxes, picture frames, turning pens and bowls. All sorts of small projects. So alot of this stuff will be used for boxes and maybe picture frames.

My next big project will be a Hal Taylor sculpted rocker (for my mother in law) which will probably be out of walnut but I was thinking of doing the bent lam back slats out of zebrawood or some sort of accent wood.

The cocobolo will probably end up being a jewelry box for my wife. I will probably need to go grab another piece when i build it. I should have bought two pieces but at 240$ a piece it was very, very hard to purchase even one piece.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Not fair? Don't you have bunch of awesome lumberyards in Cali?

Yup, I've also got a wife far less tolerant than Mrs Mack..

Haha! My wife said I should have left the lacewood and bought more coco! The girl has taste.

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

Haha! My wif should have left the lacewood and bought more coco! The girl has taste.

Good taste indeed although I think that's a cool stick of lace wood.

AlthoughI have some but have never found a use for it..

Nice haul, Shane! Next time I visit a local lumberyard, I'll be sure to post photos if all the wonderful red oak and poplar they carry. ?

LOL !!! Cmon you guys have everything better and cheaper than we have up here ! You must have a good lumber source near you? But even if you dont you guys have bell forest! We dont have any online lumber places here that im aware of. Im only fortunate to live about 45 mimutes from probably one of the biggest exotic lumber places in Canada.

I think i have all of that available to me except the king wood. I've always wanted to work with king wood just to try it but it's never there. I suppose i could do bellforrest but it's so much easier to just pick it out in person.

@Ronn W I heard there were a few good yards in the cities. I've been through Rockler and Woodcraft and have never been impressed with what they have though. I never get enough time to wander around the yards there are find a good one but I'm sure they exist there is enough demand.

35 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I think i have all of that available to me except the king wood. I've always wanted to work with king wood just to try it but it's never there. I suppose i could do bellforrest but it's so much easier to just pick it out in person.

@Ronn W I heard there were a few good yards in the cities. I've been through Rockler and Woodcraft and have never been impressed with what they have though. I never get enough time to wander around the yards there are find a good one but I'm sure they exist there is enough demand.

The kingwood is amazing, the pictures don't really do it justice. I wouldn't be crazy enough to say its nicer than the Coco but its certainly a close second. Next time I go I will try and grab another piece if they have any. I am assuming this stuff is pretty rare, they only had 2-3 pieces if I remember correctly. I was in wood heaven, its all a blur. 

Nice haul Shane. Some killer wood there. I'm a bit curious about that being Brazilian Rosewood, though for a long time most Japanese guitar companies referred to Jacaranda as Brazilian Rosewood for guitars after it was added to the CITES list. True BRW is Dalbergia Nigra. It's still an awesome wood but I feel a bit misnamed and used as a way to inflate it's pricing. 

Nice haul Shane. Some killer wood there. I'm a bit curious about that being Brazilian Rosewood, though for a long time most Japanese guitar companies referred to Jacaranda as Brazilian Rosewood for guitars after it was added to the CITES list. True BRW is Dalbergia Nigra. It's still an awesome wood but I feel a bit misnamed and used as a way to inflate it's pricing. 

They had it labeled as jacaranda there. Wood database says jacaranda is brazilian rosewood. I don't know who is right to tell you the truth !

Beautiful material in that haul shaneymack.  Sounds like you are lucky or unlucky living so close to a good yard.  I often come home from going after a load of walnut with a board or two of yellowheart or lacewood jumping in the truck.  Honest, I don't know how they got there ; -)

Speaking of lumber yards on our side of the line . . . there is a real danger zone near my usual yard:

ETHW (2).jpg

ETHW (1).jpg

These guy have billets of gaboon ebony the size of fence posts.  Tough on the wallet if you're not careful.

• Like 2

Yeah I have to agree with Tom.  From what I know about it, which isn't much, it's illegal to harvest or import, almost totally impossible to find, and when you do find it, it's either nasty stock or not actually Brazilian rosewood.  That board you have looks...I don't know...not like the Brazilian rosewood I've seen.  I have a Martin HD28 with a BR body, and it looks drastically different.

Although...after further reading it appears that BR comes in a wide range of colors, much like cocobolo.  So I'm not saying what you have there ISN'T BR, but it's questionable at best and if it is, it's not the highly desirable, reddish-orangish-blackish-striped awesome stuff.

Here's what Hearne Hardwoods says about it...

Brazilian Rosewood is the most revered lumber of all time. Due to  uncontrolled harvesting the tree is now protected by the Cites Treaty and can not be internationally traded. The heartwood is orange brown and holds onto its color as it oxidizes.  This is the specie used on the finest Steinway pianos, Martin guitars and Bentleys prior to the Cites ban. If you are fortunate to find some pre-ban stock you will probably be shocked by the price and underwhelmed by the available board quality, these boards would have been sorted hundreds of times over the last thirty years by those wanting to make that special guitar or piece of heirloom furniture. The quest for the Holy Grail of lumber continues...
*Most highly prized lumber
*Protected by the Cites III Treaty
*Finest tonewood
*Treasured for veneer

Wood Database:

Likely to be very expensive, and from questionable sources. Trade of Brazilian Rosewood is highly regulated, and sales are generally limited to reclaimed or pre-existing pieces of lumber.

Due to the high demand and limited supply of Brazilian Rosewood, and its continued exploitation in recent decades, it has been listed in the most restrictive category of endangered species: CITES Appendix I. Not only is the lumber restricted from being imported or exported from country to country, but even finished products made of Brazilian Rosewood may not cross international boundaries.

It's a nice piece of wood, but honestly it just looks like walnut to me.  That kingwood is sweet, though, and the coco...well, it's coco.  Awesome.

37 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Beautiful material in that haul shaneymack.  Sounds like you are lucky or unlucky living so close to a good yard.  I often come home from going after a load of walnut with a board or two of yellowheart or lacewood jumping in the truck.  Honest, I don't know how they got there ; -)

Speaking of lumber yards on our side of the line . . . there is a real danger zone near my usual yard:

ETHW (2).jpg

ETHW (1).jpg

These guy have billets of gaboon ebony the size of fence posts.  Tough on the wallet if you're not careful.

Gee dub that's place looks familiar. Is it in Carlsbad?

Shaney Mack that's nice haul, Ebony is favorite.My skin is soo sensitive to lace wood it started crawling jus looking at your post.Its a really unique wood wish I could work it.

Thanks for sharing.  Aj

• Like 1

Nice haul Shaney ! Loving the kingwood *drool*  

I just worked with gaboon ebony for the first time doing the plugs and handle for my table build. That stuff is amazing wood. The shavings that came off my router table look like one of those chocolate cakes and almost good enough to eat. lol

The stuff is so smooth and closed pores make it almost look like it can't be wood.

• Like 1

Look at the jacaranda pics on Hobbit House. That's what they labeled it when they sold it to Shane . Common "nicknames " can get confusing as hell. Even when you get down to the botanical name level unless you have pictures of the tree, bark, leaves, plus a magnified primo end grain shot it's not easy to seperate them.

• Like 1

ETHW (2).jpg

ETHW (1).jpg

Wow they have some nice stuff there ! What area of the US are you in? Are you the guy with the huge beard?

The place i go to has crazy massive slabs of all sorts of stuff as well. They had one bubinga slab the was 6800$ !! It was enormous.

Yeah I have to agree with Tom.  From what I know about it, which isn't much, it's illegal to harvest or import, almost totally impossible to find, and when you do find it, it's either nasty stock or not actually Brazilian rosewood.  That board you have looks...I don't know...not like the Brazilian rosewood I've seen.  I have a Martin HD28 with a BR body, and it looks drastically different.

Although...after further reading it appears that BR comes in a wide range of colors, much like cocobolo.  So I'm not saying what you have there ISN'T BR, but it's questionable at best and if it is, it's not the highly desirable, reddish-orangish-blackish-striped awesome stuff.

Here's what Hearne Hardwoods says about it...

Brazilian Rosewood is the most revered lumber of all time. Due to  uncontrolled harvesting the tree is now protected by the Cites Treaty and can not be internationally traded. The heartwood is orange brown and holds onto its color as it oxidizes.  This is the specie used on the finest Steinway pianos, Martin guitars and Bentleys prior to the Cites ban. If you are fortunate to find some pre-ban stock you will probably be shocked by the price and underwhelmed by the available board quality, these boards would have been sorted hundreds of times over the last thirty years by those wanting to make that special guitar or piece of heirloom furniture. The quest for the Holy Grail of lumber continues...
*Most highly prized lumber
*Protected by the Cites III Treaty
*Finest tonewood
*Treasured for veneer

Wood Database:

Likely to be very expensive, and from questionable sources. Trade of Brazilian Rosewood is highly regulated, and sales are generally limited to reclaimed or pre-existing pieces of lumber.

Due to the high demand and limited supply of Brazilian Rosewood, and its continued exploitation in recent decades, it has been listed in the most restrictive category of endangered species: CITES Appendix I. Not only is the lumber restricted from being imported or exported from country to country, but even finished products made of Brazilian Rosewood may not cross international boundaries.

It's a nice piece of wood, but honestly it just looks like walnut to me.  That kingwood is sweet, though, and the coco...well, it's coco.  Awesome.

Maybe its not, I really don't know im definitely not a wood connoisseur. I just build stuff lol. In person its easy to see its not walnut . As soon as you touch it its even more obvious. I wonder if its possibly some other rosewood species. Either way, i only paid 80$ for it and its really nice so I dont mind. Now if the 240$ coco board wasn't really coco, I'd drive my truck through their store window...