Spoke shave question

wtnhighlander

I don't have one either but just bought a blade and hardware kit from Veritas. Going to try to make my own bent laminated handle.  Thought it might be a challenge.  It is third on my to do list.  Oops, make that "fourth" - I forgot that my wife wants me to paint the fence this spring.  If I am lucky it will just keep raining.

No user review to report yet, as I'm still away from home. FWIW, the one I bought is just a cheap Shop Fox branded model. I picked it up at one of the "Tool Outlet" stores in Sevierville TN. Pretty much an overgrown Harbor Freight. I don't exactly expect a 'Veritas' experience, but it looks good enough to do the job, once I hone it and dial it in.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

No user review to report yet, as I'm still away from home. FWIW, the one I bought is just a cheap Shop Fox branded model. I picked it up at one of the "Tool Outlet" stores in Sevierville TN. Pretty much an overgrown Harbor Freight. I don't exactly expect a 'Veritas' experience, but it looks good enough to do the job, once I hone it and dial it in.

Ross, if you're driving back give me a shout, I'll meet you somewhere along I-40 and get the vise thingy to you... PM me for the Phone number!   Rick

Just to update those who asked, I did some tuning on the shave today. I did a half-hearted job of the usual tune-up steps for a hand plane. Flatten the sole, clean the area the blade sits in, squared up the blade clamp / chip breaker, flattened the back of the blade and honed the bevel. The blade is too short for my side-clamp jig to hold it at the correct angle, so I freehanded it. I tend to make a pretty well bellied bevel doing that, but the edge came out decent. Went through 180, 240, 320 grit diamond plates, medium & hard arkansas stones, a razor hone and a strop. Bevel has a nice polish.

Maybe I misunderstood what you guys were telling me, but the cutter in this shave will only work bevel up. With the bevel down, it hits the front of the mouth before contacting wood.

Anyway, I took a few shavings, and all I can say fir now is, 'meh!' I wasn't expecting great performance from a cheap tool, and mediocher is about what I got. Maybe I'll be more impressed after I hone a flat bevel on it, and find an actual spoke to shave...

@sjk, mine looks more like Carus', but supposedly they are all supposed to be bevel down? My confusion came because this one was factory assembled with the bevel up.

Mine looks like this:

4255161b37c486c1474b682bd4c86433.jpg

However, I have done some work on the tool, and re-ground the bevel a bit.

@C Shaffer,  I can now get it to take a shaving with the bevel down, but the mouth is REALLY tight. Not much wiggle room.

589c7379c8b49195e0b198b541bf7b5e.jpg

@wtnhighlander, I just measured and the blade in my Record is 1.75mm thick (0.069in) and the mouth opening is 3.60mm (0.142in).  You can see the mouth is still open enough for thick shavings if I need.

IMG_0368.JPG

I also have a round bottomed one I got from EBay and the previous owner had replaced the blade with a much thicker Hock blade (2.40mm).  That fills the mouth nearly closed.