It only took 13yrs..

adambaum

It's finally time for me to change my jointer blades.  I probably should have done it 3-5 yrs ago,  but it's amazing how much effort I'll put in to avoiding things that require precision.  A good planer covers up for a mediocre jointer. :)  

How bad are they? Not.  Very small grooves/lines in the wood.  I can probably go a few more years without changing them at the rate I use the jointer, but I don't want to get to a point where it becomes a safety issue.

Nah, not too much extra noise.  It's already pretty loud.  

I only do one major project a year, the rest is small stuff where I don't need to do much milling.  Especially if I'm careful picking out wood at my supplier.  Also do a fair amount of turning which is more dependent upon the bandsaw as a prep tool.

adam

Get the one way dial indicator holder. I set my four jointer knives in a 12" machine 15 mins. Set to within .001-.002 of each other and that's only because my knives aren't perfectly straight. It makes setting knives so easy. I change knives every six months, but might do it more frequently no that I have the one way. Sharp and accurately set knives are the start of every project.