Finally - My very own drill press

Ronn W

I want to thank those who responded to my previous thread about shopping for my first drill press.  I was leaning towards the Jet 17 JDP but the did not particularly care for the unique depth stop arrangement.  The fact that the mechanism on the floor model was sticking and hard to turn did not help much.  Also the laser cross hairs are reportedly not that accurate and don't stay adjusted all that well.  So I went with the Rikon 30-236.  It had good reviews last year especially in the run out category.  I also like the idea of it being variable speed (w/ digital read out) rather than having to re-position belts.  This model is now discontinued and I hear that it will be replaced by a model that costs $150 more. ($900).  I will pick it up on Monday and get it set up.  I will let you how the set up goes and what I think of it.

Any comments (good or bad) always appreciated.

Congrats on the drill press. The mechanism on the Jet is solid as could be, and pretty simple to adjust. As for the lasers being not accurate, all lasers on drill presses will require adjustment based on table height, material depth, etc. It's basic physics. Post some pics when you get the Rikon and let us know what you think.