Walnut Dresser

deav

14 hours ago, bushwacked said:

wow the whole set looks GREAT!! 

What did you use for pulls?

Thanks! Metal pulls from Deltana.  My wife found them online. She's an architect and used to choosing those details so I left it up to her. 

14 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Looks great! Give us some details. Is it a solid mitred carcass? What about drawer slides? How did you fasten those feet in order to not have them snap off with lateral pressure?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Sure. Yes, solid walnut 13/16" carcass.  Four edges are mitered with dominos at 45s.  The front of the case is routed in 13/16" deep to receive the flush drawer fronts, leaving a 3/8" thick front profile.

The vertical center piece is two 3/4" walnut veneered ply pieces glued together with a 1.5" piece of soild walnut baked into the front so it can receive the same recess treatments as the rest of the case. 

Used Blumotion undermount full extension slides.  Love those.  Don't think I'll ever use anything else.

The legs basically make an "I" shape under the case.  The two feet are pocket screwed into the underside of the case, and there is another piece running the length of the case down the center and also pocket screwed into the legs.  My thinking is that the center vertical drawer divider and the perpendicular leg piece underneath will act as two different spines to keep everything robust.

14 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Deav, those look great! Like Steve said, the color variation in the drawer fronts, yet keeping the color / grain continuous across both columns, is a bold choice, and very pleasing to the eye. Nice work.

Thank you.  I'll take the compliment but it was really an exercise in frugality.  I knew I wanted the grain to extend across the drawer faces but I just used whatever stock I had that wasn't reserved for other projects.  Glued up a large panel that would cover the size of all the drawers and then ripped it to size. 

• Like 2