Rough texture when spraying WB Poly

Tom K

I've been experimenting with some HVLP conversion guns spraying GF High Performance Satin. I am finding that when I lay down a thin, even final coat I end up with a somewhat textured surface. It feels similar to what a formica countertop - maybe slightly more rough. The area I'm spraying is 42" x 72" so overspray is difficult to control without a more powerful exhaust system.

Is this normal? What is the best way to smooth the final coat? Brown paper bag? Scotch brite pad? Steel wool? How long should I wait before buffing? I've used the paper bag trick in the past but it leaves small scratches.

Thanks!

"Thin" coat is your problem. You're dry spraying. Your final coat should be a nice wet coat. The finish will take on a just a little bit of a blue cast to it in a raking light when you have it correct. The finish will come off the gun a little orange peel looking with a bluish tint. Let me see if I can find a picture for ya.

-Ace-

Ace,

I think I know what you are talking about... you start to see a bit of the white in the finish. I have put on some heavier coats and had trouble with the satin flattening agent splotching because the finish wasn't perfectly even. The parts that took a few minutes to flash off were a bit glossier.

At this point is it worth another sand and redcoat or am I better off trying to buff after it has cured?

No "white" in the finish should be wet clear/blue.

First, STOP what your doing and get a scrap board and practice laying down a full wet coat. The look is orange peel. It will look like crap, as it dry's, it will flow out nice (may take you a couple coats). Scuff with 320 paper between coats that have dried.

Once you get the hang of that, (may take you a day or two). Scuff your project with 320 foam backed paper and clean the surface then lay down a nice full wet coat.

-Ace-

Ace is exactly right.  It will look like poop when wet, if you are doing it correctly.    I sand with 320 between coats.   Your final top coat should level and not "need" any more work, but you can always rub it out with a 500/1000/2000 sequence if you want to get nutty. 

Alright well thanks for the advice.

Below you'll see two pics of the orange peel/blue/wet coat and the final result. I also added an extra fan to extract the overspray and wiped the table down again after setting up the gun. I ended up with just a few dust nibs to deal with but it is definitely smooth! 

With the gun I turned the fluid to full and backed down the pressure just above the point where the atomization started to suffer. I also went back over a few areas that were beginning to dry from the excess air while doing the other side of the table.

IMG_0793.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks.

Previous to the conversion gun I was using a cheapo Rockler turbine which really DID give me orange peel. The thought of having to sand that out had me skittish on laying a heavier coat.

Now to the rest of the table...