Restoring a hand plane help

Gixxerjoe04

So I went to a flea mall today looking for junk and found a couple items.  Got a bailey #6 and an old bevel gauge, figured for $23 for them, wasn't a bad deal.  The plane is all there and flat, but has some rust I need to fix.  Was wondering what everyone uses to get rid of the rust and what all you do to make them decent again? 

9B5DBD9E-4DEB-4019-BD21-310CB83F69E2_zps

6EACD823-2546-4EC2-837A-0838986B7DB7_zps

• Like 1

I've derusted a lot of them using electrolysis. If you already own a car batter charger it's the cheapest. Google "electrolysis rust removal" theres lots of papers on it. Make the tank with a 5 gallon bucket, a couple strips of iron (cut up a tin can) and a handful of washing soda you can get at the grocery store. If theres rust pitting, don't worry about it. The only place that matters at all is on the back of the blade and on the front of the mouth.

I clean the wood bits with paint thinner and Murphys oil soap. Sometimes have to sand the old varnish. 3 patent dates means pre-WW1 and it will have rosewood handles they will look good with just some BLO or Watco natural.

So is it safe to put the whole body of the plane in evaporust?  Didn't know if that would mess up the remaining japaning or anything, it's pretty rusty.  Hoping since I can't do any woodworking for awhile since my shop is in storage, trying to find something to do.

Joe,

Take the plane apart, hand sand the wooden bits and refinish it. All the metal and can put in a bucket of evaporust and can let it sit for 12 or so hours, and then you hit it with a scotchbrite pad.

Joe,

Take the plane apart, hand sand the wooden bits and refinish it. All the metal and can put in a bucket of evaporust and can let it sit for 12 or so hours, and then you hit it with a scotchbrite pad.

Looks like the jappaning on the back of the plane is in pretty rough shape. You might also want to spray the body with some black enamel to prevent future rusting.