quick & easy contemporary hat & coat racks

Eric.

It's my design.

I stopped rooting for a single team after they ruined baseball, somewhere in the mid-to-late 90s.  Steroids and ridiculous ticket and beer prices have me turned off of pretty much all sports.  If I didn't have a bald spot I'd probably not wear any of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Janello said:

Looks perhaps there's a little James Krenov insiration there. Simplistic beauty.

Nah, Krenov would have come up with something far more clever.  This was a lazy man's design who just hacked out the first thing that came to mind.  Once everything is hung you can't see the damn things anyway.  I could have made them even more basic than I did.

8 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Is the lower row of pegs at a different angle than the ones above, or is that an optical illusion? Looks nice, good job.

Illusion, they're all the same.

3 hours ago, Eric. said:

Somewhere between three and five years of whining wife, one day of work to turn it off. 

Does your wife know that's the ratio?  3-5 years whining : 1 day of woodworking

So if she wanted a dining room table that would take you a week to make - that would be 15-25 years of whining?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Eric. said:

new-dominos-pizza-logo.png

Nice rack! Not the normal male to male talk......Educate me, I am looking into the Domino tool. I am familiar with the biscuit type joiner and the reference marks that you line up to ensure the two parts line up. What did you use for reference points on the support and again on the individual hooks? What was used to anchor the hooks while mortise get the receptacle?

I made my marks, set the Domino in place, held a square to the base to make sure it stayed properly aligned, then plunged.  "Freehand" I guess is how I would describe it.  I don't know if it's common practice but it's how I usually do it.  If I'm doing something super-critical on a big and important piece, I'll set up stop blocks to be sure it doesn't wiggle around on me mid-plunge.  But I took the gamble on the racks since they were minor projects.

7 hours ago, Chestnut said:

It's my place so the pile in the corner is staying for the near future though.

The wife and kids got home about an hour ago.  There is now a pile of jackets and bags and crap just below the new racks.  Never saw THAT coming. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...
On 5/2/2016 at 6:16 PM, Eric. said:

The wife and kids got home about an hour ago.  There is now a pile of jackets and bags and crap just below the new racks.  Never saw THAT coming. :rolleyes:

LOL.  That's like giving your kids great Christmas presents then watching them play with the boxes.

Still, a nice project Eric.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2016 at 9:24 AM, Chestnut said:

That rack looks great. I got a lot of harassment from my mom and girlfriend this weekend for my pile of coats that i don't have storage for. It's my place so the pile in the corner is staying for the near future though.

The one benefit of getting old and fat is you rarely need a coat.  Even on 10F days I am fine outside with long sleeves and gloves.  No jacket required :)