Box For The Bride

I really want to give my soon to be wife a gift on our wedding day. with all the other planning and everything going on with work I have not had a chance to think about what that gift should be. It dawned on me this morning that she would love something I made for her.  So My thought is to create a medium sized keepsake box.  I am thinking the dimesions would be about 9"x6"x4" deep.  Her favorite color is Purple so I think I would like to make a large portion from Purple Heart.  I think that Maple (birds eye/curly) would look good with the purple heart.  Here is a rough draft of what I was thinking.  

Any thoughts, suggestions? 

It will be very tricky to get into the shop and have this thing done in the next 30 days or so.  But I think it can still be done.

ISO_View.jpg

Immediate thought would be to rethink the purple heart. When I think of a gift for a bride, I think of something that gets better with age. Purpleheart  has a nasty habit of getting pretty ugly after a few years.  I would go cherry or mahogany.

• Like 1

+1 for cherry over purple heart. 

You also might want to think about putting something inside the box when done. The first thing she will do on seeing it is open it up. Even if its just a lovely handwritten card it will be better then just presenting the box. I learned all about this with my own recent marriage. If you decide to spring for jewelry to go in the box then consider presenting it to her before the day of the wedding so she can wear it and make any last minute changes to her outfit that needs to be done. Even the night before the wedding is not too late for this but might not guarantee it being worn the next day. My then fiance and now wife told me in advance that 1) if I intended to swap gifts with her I needed to tell her in advance so she would get something for me and not be left blindsided and 2) if it was going to be something to be worn she would want it at least the night before the wedding so she could decide whether or not to wear it on the big day. Presenting her with something to wear the day of was a recipe to make her crazy she said. I listened to her and I am glad I did.

• Like 1

How thick are the boards?  Its hard to tell from a drawing but it looks like 3/4" or so.  That is way to chunky for a keepsake box, IMO.  I'd go with 1/2" at most.  

If you use purpleheart, save it for a small accent or inlay.  For example, you could do mitered (instead of Dovetailed) corners with purpleheart splines. 

22 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

If she likes purple you could just use purple dye and have it all be maple

I want the majority of the box the be purple since that is hear favorite color (she thinks i don't listen but i do). I have never used a purple dye. Is it similar to staining? 

7 minutes ago, Mike. said:

How thick are the boards?  Its hard to tell from a drawing but it looks like 3/4" or so.  That is way to chunky for a keepsake box, IMO.  I'd go with 1/2" at most.  

I have them drawn in sketchup as 5/8" but i agree that is probably to thick.

1 hour ago, Brian Endres said:

I want the majority of the box the be purple since that is hear favorite color (she thinks i don't listen but i do). I have never used a purple dye. Is it similar to staining? 

I have them drawn in sketchup as 5/8" but i agree that is probably to thick.

You can apply dye similar to stain. Transtint offers a purple dye. I've never applied it the way you'd want to but i know it's possible. I hate to lead you on a wild goose chase but if you want it to be striking and last, purple dye is your best bet. I know you have a time limit but my best advice is to get some scraps and do tests. Doing a seal coat and then applying a tinted top coat could get you the best results.

If you are going to dye it purple you really need think about the species.  Maple typically looks like crap dyed.  It is far to blotchy.  Ash would probably be your best bet.  It dyes easily and is light enough to accept a purple dye.  If you try to dye a dark wood purple it will just turn brown.  Ironically enough, if you put purple dye on purpleheart it will likely turn blackish brown. 

Yep, ditch the purpleheart, forget about dyeing.  Build her a classy little box out of cherry and use purpleheart for dividers or a tray for the inside.  Sorry, but purpleheart is tacky and the longer you woodwork the more you realize it's basically hideous.

You wanna build her something that will still be nice when you look at it 10, 20, 50 years from now.  Purpleheart will look like a clown box when you're done building it, and 10 years from now it will just be brown and boring.  Cherry gets more beautiful with age, forever.  And frankly, your sketchup makes me dizzy.  Keep it simple and classy.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I agree with those that don't agree with you. I especially don't like the sides to be two different colors. And I agree on keeping it simple. Your heart is in the right place but don't make it purple? JMO. And congrats on the new bride!

i bet it's going to be purple anyway

I am actually leaning towards going with the group suggesting I ditch the Purple Heart, she will love anything that I make for her no matter the wood and I like the idea of purple flocking on the inside.

Do you think I should go with the through dovetails or should I miter the corners?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She probably does not know now that dovetails are difficult to do.  But married to you she will in the near future.  When she does she will appreciate the extra work, if you can get it done time.  

Splines could be good, too.  

Congratulations on the wedding.  We just celebrated our 31st anniversary.  

I'll throw another vote for only using purpleheart as small contrasting accents, or on the interior.

If you really want a purple-colored box (or large section), consider figured maple & dye. Guitars are dyed all the time. Bright dye looks crappy on plain grain, but adds some bright bling to curly figure.

0bbc36ba07ead28f4c7580389231cc2f.jpg