Rikon DP initial review

Ronn W

Llama,  Live again from the shop.  If I am not here this was prerecorded live.

Tom,  I was wondering if the drive had a name.  The 2 halves of each pulley fit together with slots and the two halves spread apart or move together to vary the RPM. The RPM change is not real quick when I twist the control.  I assume that there is something that regulates how quickly the pulleys move.

1 hour ago, Ronn W said:

Llama,  Live again from the shop.  If I am not here this was prerecorded live.

Tom,  I was wondering if the drive had a name.  The 2 halves of each pulley fit together with slots and the two halves spread apart or move together to vary the RPM. The RPM change is not real quick when I twist the control.  I assume that there is something that regulates how quickly the pulleys move.

Correct, the way a Reeves drive works is as one pulley gets bigger then other gets smaller and it works like gearing on a car or bike. It's a way to achieve mechanical speed control and keep costs down without having to add phase converters and use 3 phase motors. Make sure you follow the instructions on maintenance of the pulleys. These types of systems are common a lot of lathes, over time you could have some sticking where speed control isn't as smooth as it once was. Just keep up with the maintenance and you're good to go for many many years. 

I finally got around to measuring the run out on the Rikon 30-236.

Measured to the face of the chuck with quill extended 4" - .004".  Max depth travel on this machine is 5"

Measured to face of a 1/2" drill bit just below the chick with quill extended 4" - .0015".  I think this is the more relevsnt measurement.

I am assuming that I did it right. I rotated the pulley atop the spindle 360 degrees and reported the maximum difference.