Edge bead when finishing

Ronn W

I am working on a keepsake box. I am using Arm-R-Seal and will use a hand rubbed high gloss finish on the top.  I have done a finish board and am noticing something that could be a problem.  Each coat of finish dries with a slight raised ridge along the edge of the piece.  For the first couple of coats it was easy enough to sand it down flush with 400 grit.  But it reappears with each coat.  I am concerned that for the last coat when I want to use 1000 grit to start my finishing process that I it will be much more difficult to remove the ridge.  How to I minimize this ridge and still put down a thick enough coat to allow for the final finishing process?  Will a slight round over on the edges help?

Breaking the edges will help. Work from the center out when applying the finish.  If you work from the edge toward the center you can put too much finish at the edge.

Personally I don't think Arm R Seal is a good finish for rubbing to a high gloss.  Shellac or lacquer are much easier to rub out and you don't risk burning through the finish like you do with a poly.  You can buy either in an aerosol can and build a thick enough finish to rub out.  

It's the surface tension in the finish as it approaches the edge of the board, it builds higher than the flat surface. It's how water can still stay in a glass after you fill it passed the top.

After you have a few coats down of the ARS, you can block sand your top very lightly and your edges to return them to flat.Go very easy. Then apply your final coat.

-Ace- 

Thanks all, I understand what you are saying.  I am most concerned about having to sand the ridge down after my last coat and before I start my sequence of 1000, 2000, 3000 and then "polishing".  If I can sand the ridge down with 1000 grit that's fine but I don't want to have to back up to anything coarser.  With that said, I have just finished rounding all the edges with a 1/8" round over bit.  This is my first experiment with a "flawless smooth" finish.  A lot of work.  to get rid of a few dust nibs.