Ls;Akfhsdlfhs

5 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

If I had a convertible fox tail plane I could make grooves!

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Lies!

You need the fox tail convertible plane, and the dado set. ;)

*dado set sold separately, supplies limited, operators are standing by... 

I've been stepping up to some serious tools this year, but only because I felt like my skills had reached a point where it was justified (and because buying tools is awesome). The new tools I've bought though have largely been driven by safety considerations, not because I thought it would make me a better woodworker. I'm just as likely to make crap now as I was before, but I'm less likely to lose a finger. Seems to me that it's not worth spending the money on expensive tools unless you know you're going to stick with it and that you have at least some basic skills, which you can only really develop by practice. Unless of course you're rich, in which case, who cares, buy the best from day one and more power to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Llamalomadindadoma.ojkonb

Wow...that was fun.

I'll play devils advocate. Sometimes I think people don't mean to come off as jealous coveting thy neighbors goods. I think they might just be awe stricken. Some folks here really do have more than others can ever imagine, and that can be bewildering to some. 

I mean, when I see Shane's shop... even I think to myself "How many festool employees did they have to hire to keep up with production?"

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eric. said:

All I know is that the entire contents of my shop don't cost as much as a couple of my buddies' boats...and I have a pretty pimped out shop. 

Yes you do!

On that note, I never hear this with other things. This is why I'm perplexed by this. Most people know that boats cost a lot.

A friend of mine has a watch that costs more than my truck. He thinks I'm crazy for my hand planes. Go figure... 

Certainly no offense to anyone who has made these comments.. 

I think it has more to do with the fact that their are several different levels of tooling in this craft.

It's like cycling, fly fishing, or whatever gear-related activity you're into...

You have a basic kit, and then you have the "sha-dizzle" ("Say What?") machines. Benchtop equipment, then floor standing tools, then GOOD floor standing tools, then monstrous, killer, super-nice top-end tools.

You have all that to aspire to...and you have to hone your skills too?

You can't blame anyone for thinking: "Cripes! What a rob-job. I bet if I had an X(Stop), a Y machine with the octagonal cutting blades, and a 22" X machine I could do work like a Pro."