Table Top Aesthetics

5 minutes ago, lewisc said:

Thanks for the confirmation. The reason I ask is I'm a bit unsure about matching the grain to reduce movement.I've got a bit more reading to do on the topic.

Would it matter in a table top this small?

The reason for most seams in table tops is to reduce/limit wood movement.  If you can hide that seam at the same time and produce the look of one board, you're ahead of the game.  The size of the top is irrelevant!  If you must use multiple boards, it's generally best to try and hide the seam.  If you can't hide the seam, then turn it into a feature and do what you can with it.  I your case, the seam is textbook to hide it!  

• Like 1

Thanks for the confirmation. The reason I ask is I'm a bit unsure about matching the grain to reduce movement.I've got a bit more reading to do on the topic.

Would it matter in a table top this small?

Short answer: No. You can edge glue the boards in whatever orientation you please and it won't self-destruct. The goal is to make a pretty panel (your first effort is the clear winner) with bonus points if you can make a panel that is easy to plane. Have you checked which direction these boards want to be planed? If the next step after gluing is a sander it doesn't matter. But it is a good habit to get into.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lewisc said:

I just found this little bit of info in the table plans. 

Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 4.59.07 PM.png

Damn, what is this source? This whole time I make that exact effort to alternate growth patterns and it could be all for naught!

agreed, you always want to match up vertical grain when you can because it's so easy to blend. I will say that your panel in question look so odd to me, because they are bass ackwards to how a real board looks. 

Wondering out loud: What if the old wives' tale about alternating growth rings up and down isn't about warpage but about aesthetics? Assume we're gluing up a tabletop with flatsawn boards. Nice cathedral patterns that feather out to rift sawn grain at the edges. Assume further that we're doing our surface prep with a hand plane. Insofar as it's possible, we want the entire top to be plane-able in one direction.

If you alternate your boards growth rings up and down, this would imply that your cathedrals would also alternate. i.e. The first board's growth rings are up and the cathedrals point to one end of the table. The next board's rings are down, so the cathedrals point to the opposite end of the table. And so on. The grain of your table top now suggests sine waves instead of arrows pointing in one direction. Not sure if this would be such an aesthetic boon as to warrant generalizing, but that's what came to mind.

Back to my tater tots. Dinner is getting cold.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk