Box For The Bride

For those of you that took time to comment on my other thread in the general woodworking thread, Thank you for the great advice and I have decided to take a combination of it. @Eric I am going to make one box out of Cherry (I really do like the look of cherry) and I am also going to make another box with out of Maple and Purple Heart, Just because I can.

The local hardwood dealer here in town told me that they have some finish with UV inhibitor in them and they that might keep the purple heart from turning color too quickly...I am not sure if it will work or not, but I will give it a try.

it all starts with one step so, today I went to the local hardwood dealer and picked out the lumber.  I picked up about

1. 3 bdft of purple heart
  2. 6.5 bdft of Cherry
  3. 4.5 bdft of tiger maple

all for the tune of about $167  I could have pick up less but i couldn't bring myself to have to cut the boards down to a smaller size.

IMG_2291.JPG

IMG_2292.JPG

The boards are currently "hiding" in my office at work. so Jessica doesn't see me bring them home.

• Like 2

Since my Fiance's mother works 2nd shift and doesn't wake up very early, we didn't get started on the electric fence so I had a chance to get out to the shop on Saturday morning.

I worked on the Maple and Purple Heart.  I laid out my rough cuts and squared a face and edge on the jointer and then went to planing them down to the desired 1/2" thickness.  I HATED to turn all that beautiful wood into saw dust, but I don't own a band saw that is large enough to resaw and the local woodshop wanted an outrageous price to do the resaw for me.

When I had the Maple and PH down to 1/2" thick I pulled out my porter cable dovetail jig and started looking over the directions.  Turns out in order to do trough dovetails with that jig, I needed to order another template and bit.  So I jumped on Amazon and that will be here tomorrow.

About the time I started to rough out the pieces for the cherry box Jessica woke up and made an appearance in the shop so I didn't get very far on that box at all.

Jessica has to work Saturday morning for about 5 hours so I will probably have both boxes ready for finish before she gets home.

IMG_2300.JPG

IMG_2301.JPG

IMG_2302.JPG

3 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Do you have the 4200 or the omi jig? Also i don't know if this is just the way you laid out the boards but dovetails do not work on edge grain with a router. Tried it, bad things happened.

I have the 4210 which i have used to do tons of half blind dovetails for drawer boxes and didn't realize that it needed other parts to make through dovetails so I placed an order for the 4213 though dovetail/box joint jig.

That is just the way I had the boards sitting. Dovetails will be in the end grain. ISO_View.jpg

1 minute ago, Brian Endres said:

I have the 4210 which i have used to do tons of half blind dovetails for drawer boxes and didn't realize that it needed other parts to make through dovetails so I placed an order for the 4213 though dovetail/box joint jig.

That is just the way I had the boards sitting. Dovetails will be in the end grain. ISO_View.jpg

Once set up i like the 4200 series jig. If you haven't google the supplemental manual, you can tumble a long way down the dovetail jig rabbit hole.

I just wanted to make sure to ask the way you had the boards shown worried me. Trying to cut into the edge grain ended up being pretty dangerous wood chips were flying everywhere. I like the design looking forward to seeing the finished product.

14 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Brian, future mother-in-law and electric fence? You're not getting off to a very good start!

Hey the electric fence is for our 5 horses. We just got access to another 3 acre pasture that a friend is letting us "rent" free of charge.

The new template for the dovetail jig is "out for delivery" on the UPS tracking page.  Hopefully I can get out to the shop and set it up and make some test cuts in the next couple of days.

I got back in the shop this weekend, Jessica now knows that something that she isn't allowed to see is being made, but she still doesn't know what it is.  

My first step this weekend was to figure out how to setup the new template in the 4200 series dovetail jig.  That about an hour and several scrap pieces of poplar to dial in for a good/thigh fitting joint. I was assuming that the trough dovetails would be just as easy as the half blinds that I have done in the past...I was wrong....  I ended up using two routers one with the dovetail bit and the other with the straight bit.

After I was happy with the way the poplar joints came together I went ahead and cut everything in the Tiger Maple and Purple Heart. Including the dado for the bottom.  I glued the box up and started working on the lid.

After roughing out and thicknessing all the pieces I started cutting the rails and styles and then the purple heart panel.

after gluing up the lid I didn't really like the way the raised panel was sticking up so far about the top of the rails/styles.  So i ran it though the planer (as i don't have a drum sander) taking special care not to cut into the maple as it would have been a cross grain cut and would have been a disaster.

I final sanded everything to 180  and sprayed 4 coats of polyurethane.

I am pretty happy with how it looks. Now I just need to find the hardware i am going to use for the two boxes.

I plan on getting started on the Cherry box this week and should be able to knock it out pretty quickly.  I saw someone using a 45 degree chamfer bit on here to make the miters for their boxes and that looks like an easy way to create the corners to me so I am going to order a bit that has enough depth to make that cut and give it a try.

IMG_2356.JPG

IMG_2355.JPG

IMG_2349.JPG

20160515_112626.jpg

IMG_2344.JPG

IMG_2343.JPG

IMG_2342.JPG

IMG_2341.JPG

IMG_2340.JPG

IMG_2339.JPG

IMG_2338.JPG

• Like 2

Yeah the through dovetails can be a bit of a bugger. Once you get the jig setup and the set screws in place you can just leave them and it's always set up. In fact the supplemental manual gives a recommendation to put 2 additional nuts to lock the brass knobs in place to make sure nothing moves.

Looks good, I'm going to call our your rails and stiles for having a slight dip towards the ends of the profiles. Did you do them on a router table and if so is there something wrong with your fence? Also how much of a PITA was it to cut a purple heart raised panel?

I was wondering if someone would see that :P.  The out feed side of my fence was a little wonky and I didn't notice it until the damage was done.  She will never notice the slight dip.  

Actually cutting purple heart raised panel wasn't that bad.  I just took it slow and only took light cuts.

16 minutes ago, Brian Endres said:

I was wondering if someone would see that :P.  The out feed side of my fence was a little wonky and I didn't notice it until the damage was done.  She will never notice the slight dip.  

Actually cutting purple heart raised panel wasn't that bad.  I just took it slow and only took light cuts.

I hope i didn't damage your pride too much. It looks good but srsly get that fence fixed. One thing that i do with my router table and home made fence is to use feather boards. It makes a world of difference using those even if only in 1 direction. I usually use mine to hold things down to the table which leaves me able to just worry about holding properly to the fence and feeding at an even speed.

4 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I hope i didn't damage your pride too much

No damage done to my pride...I was PISSED when that happend.

I have the KREG router table and fence that has a cam lock on the right side and a screw lock on the left side.  I had the right side locked down in plane with the bearing and the left side was slightly behind the bearing. so when the board transferred from the bearing to the fence it left that dip as the board cleared the bit. 

I almost always set the fence with guide bits so the fence is proud of the bearing by like .001 (a light tap from my mallet with the fence somewhat snug) and rely 100% on my fence. I found I always had the exact problem that your having now. My fence is very crappy but it's strait and that's all i ask of it.

43 minutes ago, Rex Edgar said:

What procedure was used for the details on the lid? Good looking project!

This lid was made just like a raised panel door, I cut the edges of all the rails and styles. Then cut the Ends of the rails. Them used the panel cutter to make the purple heart center.

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

As a recent groom, I have no idea how you were able to fit this in before the wedding and keep it a secret

Congrats on your Wedding as well.  She knew I was working on something for her, but didn't know what it was.  I accidentally left some purple saw dust laying on the floor of the shop so she also knew it was being made with purple heart.

There were a couple goofs, none of which were my fault.

The Cake person didn't leave any boxes for the left over cupcakes and the wedding cake. The caterer failed to mention to us that we needed to bring our own containers to take left overs home and we didn't really make it clear to the guests when they could eat the cupcakes.

But the biggest comedy of the night was my new wife puking all over the back patio of the venue at the end of the night  :lol:

At the end of the day we are married and we had a good time, that is all that matters.