Lie Nelson Planes

trialbyfire

He's asking what kind of steel to buy.  I think all LN planes come with A2 blades, but I'm not 100% positive.  You might be thinking of Veritas planes...they give you several options.  Don't waste too much energy worrying about it.  Learn how to sharpen well and it doesn't really matter. 

LN used to offer a choice in irons between A2 and 01, but no longer.  I only have one LN plane, and only because they no longer offer 01.  I guess they never sold a lot of 01.  I always prefer 01, but their version of the plane I bought was significantly cheaper than the LV version, and it's a very limited use plane.

When you have one of everything they sell you don't have that problem very often. :D

I've always had great customer service with LN.  Only once was an item backordered, and it was an Auriou so it was out of their control anyway.

What you need to appreciate about LN is that they've chosen a business model that keeps their production smaller and their quality higher.  They could have easily done the opposite and gone the mass production route, but decided not to, to their credit.  So since they don't batch out a hundred thousand units at a time, occasionally there's some stocked-out inventory.  Small price to pay for high quality tools at very reasonable prices.  Keep it in mind...

1 minute ago, Eric. said:

When you have one of everything they sell you don't have that problem very often. :D

I've always had great customer service with LN.  Only once was an item backordered, and it was an Auriou so it was out of their control anyway.

What you need to appreciate about LN is that they've chosen a business model that keeps their production smaller and higher quality.  They could have easily gone the mass production route, but decided not to, to their credit.  So since they don't batch out a hundred thousand units at a time, occasionally there's some stocked-out inventory.  Small price to pay for high quality tools at very reasonable prices.  Keep it in mind...

No complaint about their quality or their after sale customer service E.  The complaint is about their inability to maintain something simple like a website.  I have no issue waiting for something back ordered if I know about it up front.

Paying money for something and having the company constantly tell me that the "check is in the mail" is total BS!  If it's out of stock, then tell me so up front so I can make a decision before spending my money.

LN is not the only game in town to get quality stuff.

• Like 1

FWIW I don't believe they charge you until the item is packed and shipped.  Could be wrong but I don't think so.  OP...you could always cancel the order and buy it from Craftsman Studio.  Free shipping and you'll be supporting another great woodworking small business.

1 minute ago, Eric. said:

FWIW I don't believe they charge you until the item is packed and shipped.  Could be wrong but I don't think so.  OP...you could always cancel the order and buy it from Craftsman Studio.  Free shipping and you'll be supporting another great woodworking small business.

This is true but, they wait several days to tell you that they're out of stock..  Again, just a complete waste of my time.  

I'm all for supporting small business and getting quality products even at their prices but, piss poor customer service on something like this drives my business elsewhere!

OP...you could always cancel the order and buy it from Craftsman Studio.  Free shipping and you'll be supporting another great woodworking small business.

I didn't know about this place... I got excited when I saw they had it... It's out of stock ... I got my hopes up and everything... Oh well guess I'll just wait thanks for the intro to the site though

35 minutes ago, trialbyfire said:

I didn't know about this place... I got excited when I saw they had it... It's out of stock emoji17.png... I got my hopes up and everything... Oh well guess I'll just wait thanks for the intro to the site though

Perhaps your wife found out that you were going to spend your two weeks vacation planing wood and told them to back order it?

I didn't know about this place... I got excited when I saw they had it... It's out of stock ... I got my hopes up and everything... Oh well guess I'll just wait thanks for the intro to the site though

Perhaps your wife found out that you were going to spend your two weeks vacation planing wood and told them to back order it?

I wouldn't put it past her... Sometimes I think she just claims ignorance

6 hours ago, Eric. said:

I have been buying form Craftsman Studio for years. When I first got into woodworking their store was in San Diego (where I lived). I still try to order most of my hand tools through them when I can because the free shipping is too good of a deal to pass up. Some things they just don't stock and I have to order from LN and and I pay through the nose for shipping same goes for LV and pretty much everywhere else. 

I have had the rabbet block plane for a couple years now and think I now would prefer just a regular LA Block Plane. Just food for thought.

Good point James. If I were looking for a "first" block plane it would just be the standard LA block plane. The rabbeting block is useful if needed but I have not personally needed one. Although I think Eric does :).

I did ask about the A2 vs 01 recently. Sadly they only do A2, I was going to get a 102 but decided not to because of that.