Mother's Day

Tom King

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the jeans and gloves.  That Buick Special was a two tone turquoise. We had a Wildcat in 1968 that I drove to school my Senior year in High School.

We had Buicks through the '60s.  I remember a big buck crashing into the passenger door on that car in the picture.  His big rack caved in the metal on the door under the window (they were made out of real metal back then) after sailing over a tall bank beside the road.  I was sitting in the back seat on that side.  The buck stood on the side of the road shaking his head, and walked off.  It the hit had been a little higher, my Mother might not have had that 100th Birthday celebration.

Great to have her still around I'm sure. I lost my dad about 10 years ago and my mom a few years before that. My dad was a retired wood shop teacher and unfortunately only had about 8 years after retirement to just "play" around. I built my dream shop after his death and often think how great it would be if here were around to play with me in it today. Families are great and most of us here have an opportunity to pass on some skills and memories to our kids. What better place to do a lot of that than the wood shop. Have a great Mother's day all and enjoy the family and friends.

47 minutes ago, Mike. said:

tom - looks like you were born wearing work gloves and carpenter's jeans.   Nice picture.   Buick Special? 

1953, had one!   Happy Mother's day to all that still have one around.  Mine left 30 years ago!

The newspaper did an article on my Mother, so  that's why we just dug up the old pictures.  The 100 one was two weeks ago. 

In the process of digging through old pictures.  We found some back to the 1840's.  Here's a really high quality one we found of one of my Great Grandfathers taken in 1882.  My Grandfather married his Daughter when she was really young.

charlesbmoore.jpg

50 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Am I reading this correctly?  Never mind, got it now.  Your grandfather married your great grandfather's daugher.  I though for a second the family tree had a trunk where a branch is supposed to go.  

That's how I read it also but didn't think too deeply. I guess my ozark-ness is showing..

I edited it to make it simpler to understand, maybe.   Pretty amazing that Brendon's Mom is about half the age of my Mom.

Most of my Mother's Nieces and Nephews were at her 100th Celebration Open House.  There were several in their 80's.  One arrived in a limousine from about 250 miles away. 

She had a lot of long lived ancestors that she is a direct descendent of.  One lived from 1565 until 1667 (yes, well documented), long before antibiotics, but also before pesticides and insecticides.  Another died when a wagon he was driving down a mountain went off the edge and rolled over him.  He was 96, and by himself, when that happened.