Shop Survey: The Most Hunted Item

Rex Edgar

Well what is it? Is it glasses, tape measure, pencil, that beer that was here a minute ago or in my case, I use a walking stick to help me get around and I am always hunting that thing.

Let's hear from you what item is always getting away?

52 minutes ago, Rex Edgar said:

Well what is it? Is it glasses, tape measure, pencil, that beer that was here a minute ago or in my case, I use a walking stick to help me get around and I am always hunting that thing.

Let's hear from you what item is always getting away?

Is there an automatic edit? I referred to the stick as something beside "that thing".

Nothing really..  I might not know where I set something down but, I always know where there's another one.

If I find myself constantly looking for something, I add several more of them to the shop and give them a home.  If I can't find something like a sander or a drill then the shop needs cleaning!

Example:  Pencils, no less that 50 live in one location ;)

Safety goggles. I'll set them down and *poof* they disappear by the mysterious garage gnomes into a minuscule black hole. After hours of searching, my goggles turn into William Wallace and demand freedom from the oppressive captors, summoning a 5th dimensional worm hole to escape back to their home dimension.

3 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

I feel bad that I can't participate in this theard, I don't have anything that I have to hunt for.  I use a shop apron.  I feel so unworthy at the moment.  :huh:

I have one too - its on a peg on the wall.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

I feel bad that I can't participate in this theard, I don't have anything that I have to hunt for.  I use a shop apron.  I feel so unworthy at the moment.  :huh:

So you still have the apron on when the urge hits you, now you gotta hunt for it?

• Like 1

Just now, Bombarde16 said:

Hearing protection. I have three sets of earmuffs in circulation and can't ever find a one.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

I had that issue and went to ear plugs.  I had the custom fit ones made and then attached them to clips/string attached to my shirt so, they stay with me all the time.  Disposables would work just as well and just toss a handful in your pocket.

30 minutes ago, Bombarde16 said:

Hearing protection. I have three sets of earmuffs in circulation and can't ever find a one.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

I had that issue,  now I have a set hanging on the band saw tension arm,  drill press rotation arm, and router table or, one on 3 of the 4 walls

Shop is so small I can find just about everything by reaching behind me at any given moment.

For me personally, I found I just kept making a mess if I put more and more items around the shop when I couldn't find them...Now I just have a specific home for every item, and it's either in its home or in my hand. Not perfect, but it works better for me this way, especially since its never more than a 5 foot walk to grab something in a small shop.