Arched cedar garden bridge

SawDustB

Looks like a fun project. What kind of wood did you use in the arches ?

The arches started out as red cedar 2x6. I ripped them down to 1/4 inch strips for the lamination. I'm having fun with it so far... Kind of nice to have a simple project.

Cool project. I need to learn to shut my mouth sometimes on suggesting projects so i know what it's like. At least this one is pretty simple and it seems like a nice change of pace. I look forward to seeing the finished product!

Yeah i don't know who buys gorilla glue honestly. Almost all of the wood workers i know personally use titebond. On here it seems that people use titebond or epoxy.

Project is looking very good so far. Look forward to seeing this progress. 

I think that gorilla glue actually gets it's name from the fact that it leaves your fingers and hands a greenish brown color. 

• Like 1

After a little quality time with a round over bit, I'm ready to look at assembling. I know they're almost a bad word around here, but I think the pocket hole jig with outdoor screws is the way to go here. Likely with some construction adhesive for good measure.

067970f3d1e5c36d15d0fa4745d99987.jpg

Next time you use Gorilla Glue, wrap the piece with stretch wrap before clamping. GG doesn't need air to cure, and the wrap keeps the mess under control.

That's a good idea. I did put plastic around it to keep glue off my clamps and the form, but it still foamed at the joint. It was far worse on the first one, because I had about 50% more glue.

A bit more progress last night. I sanded the slats up to 120 and started marking and drilling all the pocket holes. I'll have another round of that tonight then hopefully clamping and assembly. I still haven't totally figured out the little rails that will be at the sides... Probably need to cut more stock to bend.

I finished drilling pocket holes last night and started assembly. It seems I can't count, because I just realized I'm one slat short. I also need more screws to finish, so it's off to the store today. Here's where things stand.

c764f7bf8e70b50b2b710575a3a4eefd.jpg

I'll see how it looks after I get the rest of the slats on. I'm still torn on whether to put any sort of rail on the sides.

• Like 1

I agree as to scale. Find a picture of an arched bridge w railings and make your railings appear proportional. The only time the railings will look out of scale is when someone is on the bridge, otherwise it will appear just a little more distant than it is.

Sometimes the best way to scale is to draw it full scale on a sheet of MDF.

The bridge is only about 3 feet long, so full size railings would look too big. My wife still really likes the toe rail idea, so I cut more strips today to laminate for it. I only had about half an hour though so not much more progress.

The mini railing would work for me, but I'm not the final design authority on this one

7 hours ago, wdwerker said:

The curve for a toe railing could also be used as a mini handrail. You could figure out a proportional height and mock up 4 posts to look at it. In the yard from a distance I bet it would look wicked.

That's a good idea, Steve. I'm hoping to laminate the pieces tonight, so I may try that tomorrow.

Thanks guys! Obviously I need more clamps... Other than pipe clamps and edge clamps, that's all of them.

I clamped up the rails so they would work as the toe rail. I'll probably try mocking them up a couple of ways before I attach them. I just used the bridge as a form; nothing's attached. Apparently this is likely to have flowerpots living on it, so the handrail may not fly with my customer.