SW bookcase

Mick S

1 minute ago, sjk said:

Really nice piece!

I can't tell - are the muntins curved or is that a trick of the camera lens?

Thanks for asking because it is distorted. There's a great deal of curve added by the lens, but the muntins are curved to accentuate the slight curve in the stiles. The top of the stiles is about 1 1/8" narrower than the bottom. The horizontal muntins match the curvature of the top door rails.

12 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

Thats a really stunning piece Micks.  You have been a busy boy.  I can really picture that in my family room.  Did you see something that inspired this or is your design.

Thanks, Chet. Not to get too "Ooh, wow", but this northern New Mexico high desert area was my muse. I take Maggie for a walk most mornings up to a ridge overlooking the Galisteo Basin. The mesas are inspiring. That's what I had in mind when I did the random scalloping on the top edge. The mix of contrasting woods and materials, and particularly the use of cholla cactus makes it a piece that IMHO will fit our home.

3 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Another great piece Mick ! You must have a happy wife. What is turquoise?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Shane. It's a stone that's mined around here. Robin's egg blue, perfect for inlays.

IMG_0976.jpg

• Like 2

She's a beauty Mick.  Is that your design?  I think we mY have similar tastes to some degree.  I'm new here and so have only seen your MP table you mentioned and this piece. I find both Ridley enjoyable to look at. Both look like they would be fun builds as well. What's your finish schedule?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gee-dub said:

She's a beauty Mick.  Is that your design?  I think we mY have similar tastes to some degree.  I'm new here and so have only seen your MP table you mentioned and this piece. I find both Ridley enjoyable to look at. Both look like they would be fun builds as well. What's your finish schedule?

Thanks, gee-dub! It is my design. As for my finish schedule - I used Arm-R-Seal Satin on this project. I try to pre-finish before assembly as much as possible, but this build has just about convinced me to invest in an HVLP system.

Beautiful work Micks. If you dont mind i have a few questions about the construction.

1. Are the sides made as frame and floating panel?

2. How are the side frames attached to the face and rear frames?

3. Are the muntins just joined to the door frames and laying over the glass?

4. The small strip between the door and face frame, is this necessary for hinge spacing or some other purpose?

Sorry for all the questions, i love the piece.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, sheperd80 said:

Beautiful work Micks. If you dont mind i have a few questions about the construction.

1. Are the sides made as frame and floating panel?

2. How are the side frames attached to the face and rear frames?

3. Are the muntins just joined to the door frames and laying over the glass?

4. The small strip between the door and face frame, is this necessary for hinge spacing or some other purpose?

Sorry for all the questions, i love the piece.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind comments!

1. Yes, frame & panel construction.

2.  I used my Domino to join the sides to the face frame and back, though a dado would have been another option if you don't have a Domino. One "odd" detail is the joinery between the sides and the bottom shelf. I wanted the walnut that the side bottom is sitting on to run front to back. The walnut is used as breadboard ends to the cherry bottom shelf, glueing only the very front of the cherry in order to let it expand and contract, keeping the front fixed in position. I cut a dado into the back bottom rail that allows the shelf to float as it moves. Here are a few pics of it.

IMG_0639.jpg

Note the bottom shelf is crossgrain to the side bottom rails.

IMG_0646.jpg

Glued only in front and pinned into slots from there.

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

The front walnut piece wraps around the face frame - the dado in the rear bottom rail at the back of the shelf allows for movement.

3. Yes, the muntins are an overlay and are mortised into the door frame.

4. Yes, they allow the doors to swing away from the frame.

Mick

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

beautiful work.  The ambrosia really turned out nice. 

Why is it called an "SW" book case? Southwest? 

Thanks, Mike. Yes, Santa Fe style. Turquoise, etc. 

Here are a few pics of it in place.

IMG_1109.jpg

As seen through a mirror on the opposite wall.

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1116.jpg