Veritas Jack Rabbet- Cool Video !

shaneymack

First of all, the video is super cool.  I love LN tools, but have some Veritas as well and are very fond of them.

Second, I am in the market for a Jack plane.  Is this not, for about $90 more, a better choice?  What I mean is, it can do the work of a regular Jack plane, and have the capabilities of doing other tasks as well.  What are the benefits, if any, of buying a regular Jack over this?

A jack is nothing special. If jack is what you want, you can find much cheaper used at no loss of function. This leaves some funding to find dedicated tools that do smoothing and end grain planing. It is common to find guys that love the LAJ. It is just as common to read here that guys with other tools don't use them as often as originally planned. 

First of all, the video is super cool.  I love LN tools, but have some Veritas as well and are very fond of them.

Second, I am in the market for a Jack plane.  Is this not, for about $90 more, a better choice?  What I mean is, it can do the work of a regular Jack plane, and have the capabilities of doing other tasks as well.  What are the benefits, if any, of buying a regular Jack over this?

I would get a regular low angle jack before getting this thing. First off, you cannot (without modifying) use this plane on the shooting board. The other thing is that it has the blade protruding ever so slightly and using that as a go to regular plane I would certainly cut myself. If i took it out every now and then for specialty tasks id be more aware. Thats just me...

I think this is a cool plane to add to the arsenal if you need it but I wouldnt replace a jack for this

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk