Bug infested Honduras mahogany

Warren Hein

I bought a stick of mahogany about a month back for some shop tools. I finally got around to planing an edge on it tonight and came across a spot which had been eaten away by a bug of some sort. It seems somewhat localized. Aside from cutting away and not using this section, should I be doing anything else about it?

5f286ba38b04bafd673b675cd890eafd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on how big the piece is, if you're worried about bugs still being in there, could put it in your oven on the lowest setting to kill them if they're still in there but if the wood was kiln dried I wouldn't think they would be.  Looks like powder post beetles which borrow in the sap wood of trees, which looks like that's the case.  If they are still in there, wherever the wood was sitting, there probably would be little piles of dust. 

• Like 1

Is this kiln dried lumber?  If so then, the bugs didn't survive that,  So, if there's bugs in it now, they came from a different source after it was dried.

If you're wanting to use that area, toss some epoxy in it and use it..  If not, toss it on the fire and be done with it.

I would keep an eye on other lumber it was stacked with to be sure there weren't live critters in there.

• Like 1

I got the same thing, but much much worse on the wood for my counters. I just left it sit and there was no dust piles so I assumed they are dead. And I positioned the area with the damage right where I am cutting out the sink hole.