Router bit suggestions (raised panel and dovetails)

BeingFrank

I picked up an Incra Twin Linear set up with the Incra offset table a while back at an auction, and finally got to order a Milwaukee 5625 router and got it all set up in the shop.  I'd like to try 2 things in the near future:

1) Dovetail and box joints using the Incra fence and templates (looks like a steep learning curve)

2) Raised panel doors for some misc projects (vanities for 2 bathrooms, built in cabinet in laundry room, etc) , leading up to maybe, eventually doing new cabinets for my semi small kitchen further down the road.

For the Dovetail and box joints using the Incra fence, I assume the Whiteside 605 set that is made to go with it would be the best bet?  

For the raised panel the prices are all over the place.  This would be my first attempt ever at building these.   I see prices on Amazon from $50 to $259 for a set.  The Sommerfeld sets seem to be the ultimate, with the matched heights so that you only set router height once (supposedly) while you interchange bits for the different pieces.   Freud is the brand of router bits I've used for flush cutting and rabbet bits and I see they have a large following.  Sommerfeld 3 piece is $159 which is inline with Freud, the Sommerfeld 6 piece set is $259. 

If you were starting from where I am now would you grab a $50 3 piece set to learn to do the doors/see if it's something I want to do on a large project.  Or should I just go all in and pick up one of the more expensive sets from the get go?  Would there be a huge difference for just a hand full of raised door projects?

As with many folks, price is a concern, I work on a pretty limited budget and have only built a few pieces of furniture and misc projects.  Most of my work is in general home remodeling.  

Advice/input is appreciated. 

Yeah for raised panel...whiteside or amana bits are great. I would suggest a raised panel bit with a back cutter. It simplifies the process and gives you a perfect tongue for matched rail and stile bits.

Don't buy into the sommerfeld hype. There are better bits for around that price and setup isn't that hard.

4 hours ago, Janello said:

Yeah for raised panel...whiteside or amana bits are great. I would suggest a raised panel bit with a back cutter. It simplifies the process and gives you a perfect tongue for matched rail and stile bits.

Don't buy into the sommerfeld hype. There are better bits for around that price and setup isn't that hard.

ugh, I bought a bunch of new sommerfeld's off craigslist awhile back. Thankfully, they were brand new and I think I bought them for 30-40% of retail for every set he makes. He is so gimmicky, but the bits are pretty good for what I have used them for. I keep them in a box under my router table, and im ashamed to admit i own them, but if the price is right i would buy sommerfeld bits no problem. I think they are repainted CMT bits, which are on the same level as freud. The matched sets do make things pretty simple for people using one router table. Ive had to go back to cut another tongue or groove or rail/stile and they are very repeatable between bits. 

Your last statement is correct though.

Thanks for all the input, I am actually relieve to hear this about Sommerfelds before investing the money.  

It doesn't look like Whiteside has any sets that come with back cutters in a complete set.  Piecing them together seems to be more expensive than the Freud sets.  So for the projects I have planned, would the Freud bits fill the bill?  

If anyone wanted to link a particular set from Amazon or anywhere I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again guys

20 hours ago, BeingFrank said:

Thanks for all the input, I am actually relieve to hear this about Sommerfelds before investing the money.  

It doesn't look like Whiteside has any sets that come with back cutters in a complete set.  Piecing them together seems to be more expensive than the Freud sets.  So for the projects I have planned, would the Freud bits fill the bill?  

If anyone wanted to link a particular set from Amazon or anywhere I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again guys

I have only used the freud miniture raised panel set.. and while it's not bad it's not in the same class as amana. I think amana has a slight edge (no pun intended) over whiteside. Sets are over-rated. Buy the profiles you want ala cart in a quality bit that will last and you'll get your moneys worth. Most sets are sup par in that they sell you a door edge that is bland and a flush trim that is not usually needed. I have a CMT set and regret the purchase.

In other words...buy once cry once with this investment. 

I'm thinking either Cove or Ogee style for the raised panel bit, then whatever on the rail/stile bit, I don't know that I have a preference for rail or stile if there are differences in their profile.  Thats why I was thinking a 3 piece set for that, to ensure they match up well. Here is a Freud I was considering after hearing that the Sommerfeld aren't the end of all router bits. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003DYZVR2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=7VWZD2H7WQCP&coliid=I3THT1PTGKLQ1Y&psc=1

As for the dovetail and straight bits I was going to go Whiteside because I read that the exact size of these bits make the Incra jig dovetails and box joints fit perfect, where as some other brands with slight variance are either loose or tight when using the jig.   How true that is, I'm not real sure.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CS7DB4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=7VWZD2H7WQCP&coliid=I3485ITW7V0102  

The vanities would be small, 2 doors each so only 4 total there.  The laundry room I'm not sure, depends on how many cabinets my wife ultimately wants and if they are base and wall, or just one.  

My router is the 3.5hp (rated) Milwaukee.  I was hoping on the lower speed it would do ok with putting out cabinet doors, I know it's not a shaper but I was under the impression that and the Porter Cable 7518 and the Milwaukee 5625 could handle the workload.  Am I in for a surprise there you think? If so I guess I might be making lots of little passes.  

14 hours ago, BeingFrank said:

The vanities would be small, 2 doors each so only 4 total there.  The laundry room I'm not sure, depends on how many cabinets my wife ultimately wants and if they are base and wall, or just one.  

My router is the 3.5hp (rated) Milwaukee.  I was hoping on the lower speed it would do ok with putting out cabinet doors, I know it's not a shaper but I was under the impression that and the Porter Cable 7518 and the Milwaukee 5625 could handle the workload.  Am I in for a surprise there you think? If so I guess I might be making lots of little passes.  

3.5hp should do just fine. Low speed with big bits make routers happy.