I messed up somewhere!

Stacy

Okay this is my first time doing this, I thought I sanded this down enough but the stain did not take to certain areas! Help! Should I resand? Did I ruin this? Massive mess, and I'm an obvious newbie! Eeeek the wood is pine, so I know this is a soft wood.

image.jpeg

Yikes! Just call it rustic? Seriously though, I'm guessing that you didn't sand all the way through the original finish. I assume the original finish was light? I looks like the top is solid wood, so you can go ahead & sand again to get all the finish off. Test an area with a damp cloth to see if the water is absorbed by the wood. If not, then sand some more.

Given that it's pine, it will not absorb the stain evenly & even after sanding all the old finish off will still look blotchy. Others who have more experience with finishing pine will offer more help than I can.

• Like 1

Unfortunately yes.  You can start with a pretty aggressive paper (80 grit) and work your way up through 180. I personally don't go up as far as 220 on pine as it seems to get a bit fuzzy at that stage but maybe that's just me. 

Before staining next time,  you could use just water on a brush or rag to wipe the area down. Look for uniform absorption. If it won't soak up water,  it won't soak up your stain. 

Finishing can be tricky work. If you approach it with practice and a meticulous attention to detail you will do well. Save scraps from the project, sand and do everything to the scraps as well as the project. Test your stain and finish on the scraps first then you have an idea how it's going to behave on the final project.

If you make a mistake ( like the one you are dealing with) then you can practice your repair on the scraps before you apply it to your project. I know this might not be possible now on this project but hopefully someone can learn from this situation. It's a little extra effort on each project but it can pay off when things go wrong !

• Like 2

Someone please correct me if I am wrong since I don't want to give bad information.  Aren't there some varnishes that have color in them like a stain and varnish in one step.  Wouldn't these go on evenly since the color stays in the varinsh? I have never used this product since I did not like the idea of one scratch through that finish exposing the natural wood color but it might be way out for Stacy after he sands away the mistake.