Powermatic 54A.... might as well be yard art

JoeN

Any advise would be much appreciated:

I picked up a Powermatic 54A thinking it would be an upgrade to an older grizzly with shorter beds. After about a 6 months or so it was time to get new blades. I ordered certified powermatic parts online and when I received them I found that there is nothing quick about the quickset blades. They were out and adjusting them is an absolute nightmare. First, the cam screw that adjusts the leveling of the blade has too much slop in it. After brining the blade level, I try to tighten the set screws holding the chip breaker(?) on. Every time I do this the blades shift. Holy crap this is frustrating. Second major issue with this is the outfeed table. It will not budge. I can not raise or lower it. The instructions say remove the gib screw, adjust hand lever and then table should move. Half a can of penetrating oil later, still nothing. I don't want to remove the bolts aligning the table as I don't have the high quality straight edge to true the infeed and outfeed tables back up. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I seriously think I'm about to loose my mind.  

46 minutes ago, Pug said:

Before I upgraded to a shelix head, I used this technique and jig all the time.  Worked great for me!

http://www.finewoodworking.com/workshop/video/jointer-knife-setting-jig.aspx

That's pretty cool Pug. I usually use a dial indicator to set my blades and it is a pita! 

Did you use any certain technique to find TDC doing it this way ? The video assumes that part is on you.

Before I left knives behind forever I used plate glass and rare earth magnets.  Works well, I still do it for dad now and again on his old Delta.  If the knife sharpening, setting and replacement cost doesn't drive you to a new jointer just wait till you have to align tables on a dovetail-way machine.  The combination of those two factors eased me into a new machine as soon as I was able.

Till then , , , ,

jointer-glass-magnet.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeN said:

After brining the blade level, I try to tighten the set screws holding the chip breaker(?) on. Every time I do this the blades shift. 

This is normal for every jointer with flat knives. Easiest way to deal with it is to get them a little tight (they will shift on you, almost always in the upward direction) then using a scrap piece of hardwood and a mallet give them a couple of wacks to get them back down to where they should be. Then continue tightening.

16 hours ago, Janello said:

That's pretty cool Pug. I usually use a dial indicator to set my blades and it is a pita! 

Did you use any certain technique to find TDC doing it this way ? The video assumes that part is on you.

What does TDC stand for?