DOMINO 500

Rex Edgar

After a week and a half of trying to get one company to do the right thing, I got another to send me the Festool Domino 500. For those who have recently purchased one and are familiar with it, I have a small question. I bought the kit which comes with a base support for upright cuts and a molding jig and a pair of side to side jigs for repetitive cutting. Overall, I'm pleasantly satisfied. The first outfit shipped the 500 only in it's systainer along with the cart, which was packaged in a cardboard box. The box was too large for the two items and the systainer, with the 500, suffered a broken handle and the green latch was knocked off and made it's way into the box. There was a hint of packing material in the box, but with the too large box the contents were banging around inside during shipping. After being told many lies, I finally got a refund and went elsewhere. Anymore how the purchase arrives is a major concern when buying online. 

What have the people found as far as a learning curve? And is there any way to fabricate a jig so that you can 'freehand' and put the slot precisely where you intend so that the mating parts line up? I'm looking forward to incorporating this tool into my routine. 

As a side note joining this board has proved to be very costly, Thanks, Folks        :rolleyes:

I will admit, I still have some issues when using, it has nothing to do with the tool, but the operator.  Here are some tips:  

1) When making the plunge hold it close to the end near where the plug it cord is and feed at a constant rate.  

2) use dust collection

3) checkout the Seneca Domiplate

4) search YouTube for Paul Marcel's videos (halfinchshy)

5) if you are going freehand make sure the indicator line is calibrated correctly, mark both boards at the same time if possible and practice.

Llama, Thanks for the link to the video. One further thought: it is recommended to make the subsequent slots using the larger slot feature on the tool. How much does this weaken a joint and if one is super careful, can you make all the slots the same and have the parts fit together?

image.jpeg

In a perfect world, you would be super careful and use the exact width mortises all across the joint and the joint would be stronger for it.  Not much in this world, save for Carrie Underwood, is perfect though.

I don't think there is a good answer as to how much weaker the joint will be when using oversized mortises because there are too many variables.  But, with all other things being equal, I think it's safe to say the strength is "close enough."

Most of the strength in a mortise and tenon comes from the long grain to long grain glue up at the cheek. Using the oversize feature on the domino shouldn't really comprismise the strength of the joint as long as it's properly glued up. Thats said, i do try to use the tight setting if it is for structural purposes and not just alignment.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Noob question, Does the domino come with all the different size bits or do you have to buy them separately? If you have to buy them separately which bit does it come with?

I'm seriously considering this guy but I'd kind of like to figure out how much to budget for.

Noob question, Does the domino come with all the different size bits or do you have to buy them separately? If you have to buy them separately which bit does it come with?

I'm seriously considering this guy but I'd kind of like to figure out how much to budget for.

Nothing "comes with" anything Festool. LOL I think you get the 5mm bit with the unit. Everything else is extra...and expensive.

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

Check and check, budget like $1500 and if i come in short question what i did wrong.

Better deal to buy the domino assortment kits. You get the cutters in the box with the dominos.

Look into getting the Df700 with the seneca adapters. Then you can do every size domino with only one machine. 

3 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Better deal to buy the domino assortment kits. You get the cutters in the box with the dominos.

Look into getting the Df700 with the seneca adapters. Then you can do every size domino with only one machine. 

I was looking at just getting the 500 and then if i need larger dominos i was going to just do traditional M&T. Most of the stuff i do is smaller any way so for the few times i need larger i can cut my own.

Wow those kits represent a decent value something i never thought I'd say about festool :P.

15 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I was looking at just getting the 500 and then if i need larger dominos i was going to just do traditional M&T. Most of the stuff i do is smaller any way so for the few times i need larger i can cut my own.

Wow those kits represent a decent value something i never thought I'd say about festool :P.

Another great reason to get the 700

34 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

That's what I do.  99% of what I build the 700 would be overkill for, and I don't wanna wield that beast if I don't have to.  I will be buying Domzilla in the future but the 500 will be by far the most used for the rest of my life...unless I go into business building beds and doors.