Oak Table

BobInAustin

This also made me want to build a workbench! lol  I used these plans. http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/47465/arts-and-crafts-side-table

3 minutes ago, conundrum said:

Beautiful piece. Any estimate on the hours?

No, not really.  I work slowly. :)  Took a long time to figure out the finishing routine.  Had a "oops" leg that I had to remake.  Being the first thing I made, I went pretty slow.

I totally understand the oops stuff. I think everything I've made has something. Most of the time I'm the only one that knows. Last week my wife asked if I could whip out a crossover bridge for our cub scouts. Sure I said. Turned out to take a lot of time. I CNC'd a lot of it which took time to setup, cut, paint, plane, etc. When I was stacking the final pieces I saw it (see first pic below). Crud, now I had to completely re-setup everything from the start and remake just that one piece. I even had text cut on the back which the scouts read as part of the ceremony (see pic #2) so it took extra long to remake the one board that was messed up. In the end it turned out but I don't want to admit the hours. I've had 10 people ask me to make them one but something like this is a labor of love. I don't want to go into production and I don't think they'd be willing to pay what it would take to make it. But when the wife asks....

20160406_173926.jpg

20160409_095540.jpg

20160409_095503.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks everyone

13 hours ago, Willin said:

Outstanding!  Everything done right.

But I gotta ask about the RC plane.  What is it?  Full specs please!

Long ago, I got way too deep into that hobby, and got building the Sukhoi M26 from scratch in sizes from 44" to 72" wingspans.

That is a 33% scale Yak with a 50cc engine.  Ended up selling it.  Looks like the smaller one on the right is the Tuff-E EPP foam plane.

3 hours ago, mkrusen said:

Curious about the finish. What dye and gel stain did you use?

Trans-tint dye first and then sanded it to  knock some of the dye off of the fleck.  Then some dewaxed shellac to seal that in. Lightly sand.  Then gel stain and wiped off as much as I could.  That was to fill in, darken the grain and provide some constrast.  After thar was armor seal wiped on.  Don't remember if I thinned that or now.  

I played with several test pieces to find what colors I liked and how strong to mix the dye.  I think I went with Brown Mahogany all the way but I honestly don't remember.  (Seems like logging your finishing routine might be a good idea.)