Overarm dust collection - Table Saw edition

rodger.

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

That's brilliant Rodger!

What is the name of his youtube channel? I searched DP woodworking but it doesn't come up...

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

DP shop talk.  The guys name is Dan pattison.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I"m sure it's a big improvement, but I cannot figure out why anyone would not want to enclose the whole blade.  Mine is a commercial unit that does enclose the whole blade.  It has rolllers on the front and back of the blade cover that ride over the piece being cut, and stays down close to the piece.

I can rip MDF in a finished house, and not dust gets on anything.  Some of the heavier particles get thrown out in front of the blade at the end of a cut, but all the fine stuff gets sucked up.  When cutting MDF, all the sawdust is very fine, so while it seems impossible to cut without sawdust in the air, with a complete blade cover, it all goes into the DC.

I did have to close up any extraneous small openings with blue masking tape, like above the front and back wheels, but once completely sealed up, there is no fine dust in the air.

I should also say that I'm also moving a lot of air with a 3hp DC, and short run of ducting, but I use this setup in finished houses all the time. The picture shows the blade cover up off the table, but it's counterbalanced, and stays where I put it.

It should be a simple design change to completely enclose the blade with the cover.  I like the completely clear design of the cover more than mine with the metal corners.  My blade cover uses a 4" hose, where the main line going to the saw is 6".  If there is any cut that needs the guard out of the way, the whole assemby just rotates either way at the black vertical pipe.

post-14184-0-49507900-1413659084_thumb.jpg