Poll - Bedrooms: Carpet or Hardwood

Eric.

carpet or hardwood  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Carpet or Hardwood?

• Carpet
    • Hardwood

We're gonna go ahead and do some remodeling since the tree already has everything torn apart.  The bedrooms will be practically rebuilt from the floor up.  I can't decide if I want to put hardwood in to match the rest of the house (tigerwood), or just replace the carpet with nicer, new carpet.

Carpet pros:

More comfortable

Cheaper

I don't have to install it

Carpet cons:

Every other conceivable factor

Ultimately I think hardwood would look better so that's probably the right call in the end, but my wife is all hung up on "it'll be cold in the morning when I step out of bed." :rolleyes:

Help me decide y'all...

• Like 1

I like having carpet in the bedrooms. We have very nice carpet, so that makes a huge difference over the crap most houses have.

In the end, your wife will win so you might as well just start looking at different grades and colors of carpeting. :)

As a remodel contractor, mostly working in old homes with wood floors, it was pretty evenly split.

The people that chose the carpet did so for the comfort factor just as your wife desires. 

The people that chose to stick with the wood floor did so because of wanting to show off that old flooring. 

I suppose that my answer really didn't help... 

Good Luck!

So far, pretty much what I expected...hardwood wins...because it's better.

I agree with everything everyone has said, on both sides.

I'm no better off than when I started.

Here's another question...how weird would it be to run the hardwood in the bedrooms perpendicular to the hardwood in the rest of the house?  Is that totally taboo or who cares?

Just now, Mike. said:

you want the floors to be perpendicular to the joists.  It could sag. 

Yeah I've heard that before but I'm calling BS.  What about tile floors?  They weigh a lot more than wood and they're non-directional...?  I just don't buy it that it's a big deal.

The floor in the main area of the house is perpendicular to the joists but they would run parallel with the joists if I changed directions in the bedrooms.  The dimensions of two out of the three rooms would make more sense to run the floors perpendicular to the rest of the house...plus I feel like it would be easier to hide the transitions that way.

Running perpendicular to the joists, I think, is a hold over from when the the there were floor beams & just the floorboards on top. So they had to be perpendicular. Of course, if you have springy subfloor joists that are minimal, running perpendicular will stiffen things up.

We did our main floor area in hardwood, but the bedrooms were carpet. When I changed a bedroom into an office, the carpet came out & hardwood went in. Weaving the new with the old was more work than I wanted, so I just used 1 piece of flooring run perpendicular right under the door, like a threshold. It looks fine.

• Like 1

So far, pretty much what I expected...hardwood wins...because it's better.

I agree with everything everyone has said, on both sides.

I'm no better off than when I started.

Here's another question...how weird would it be to run the hardwood in the bedrooms perpendicular to the hardwood in the rest of the house?  Is that totally taboo or who cares?

My opinion is it would look weird. Best way would be to tooth it in with the existing at the doorway, sand the whole floor down and site finish. It is going to be challenging to get a pre finish to match perfectly.

I tell all my clients that hardwood is installed perpendicular to framing. If they want it parallel i make them sign off on that decision. I have had sagging happen before. Using 11 7/8" tji's 16" o.c. with 5/8" t&g advantech screwed and glued. It definitely sags when placed parallel, It is minimal though. If you place a straghtedge across you would notice. It was quite noticeable in the house I had a problem with because you could see it wave up and down under the quarter round in front of the staircase.

Eric, the reason there is no problem with tile is because the subfloor is doubled or there is an un-coupling membrane used. Also the thinset adds strength.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk