Dust Collection Recommendations

Josiah Brown

I'm in the process of building a new shop and need to buy a dust collection system.  The shop I am in now is 20'x20' and has no system installed.  I have done all cleaning up with a small shop vac and a broom.  My new shop will be about 40'x 25' and I have the budget to buy a system for it.  One guy I met recommended the mini-gorilla which is a portable unit, but I'm not sure if portable or stationary is better.  If all of my tools are not up against the wall would the stationary system be a problem?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You might take a look at Clearview..

A dedicated system is going to be expensive but, how much are your lungs worth?  The system should be tied into all your stationary equipment and you should also have DC for the smaller power tools as well.

Would def get some kind of cyclone system and wall it off to help with noise and vent it outside, of course a really good system will be pretty expensive, but if you got a X thousand to spend on it, better peace of mind with the health side of it is def worth it.  Of course as one guy mentioned before, he knows a lot of 80 year old life long cabinet makers who probably weren't always thinking dust control over the years, but why risk it.

Wood talk podcast talked about the mini gorilla a bit ago. As I understand, it's more used in place of a shop vac or on a mitre station. Not really suited for a whole shop unless you want to tote it around and even then, it doesn't have the flow needed to collect on larger machines.

Dust collection does two things:

1) Cleans up the mess

2) Cleans the air and protects your lungs

For less than a grand you can put together a system that will clean up the mess.  That's what I have...a 2hp blower, an aftermarket cyclone and drum, a labyrinth of 4" sewer & drain pipe, and a dozen or so self-cleaning blast gates.  It picks up about 99% of the mess that my machines make.  But it does NOTHING...let me repeat...NOTHING to address the fine airborne particulates that are hazardous to your health.

In order to build a dust collection system that is truly capable of pulling the dangerous stuff out of the air, you're looking at multiple thousands of dollars, possibly 5k or more.  It is very expensive.  In addition, most of your machines will require invasive modifications in order for them to be efficient.  A DC system is much like a chain...only as strong as its weakest link.  You can have the world's biggest cyclone but if it gets squeezed down to a tiny port on a spindle sander it's not gonna do you any good.

So think long and hard about what your objective is with DC.  You can scratch together a fairly effective mess cleaner for pretty cheap, or you can lay out big bucks for a real system that actually keeps the air clean.  I wouldn't bother wasting my money with anything in between.

Not sure if Bill Pentz was mentioned yet in this thread, but it goes without saying...if you haven't read Pentz yet, start there.

Post Script Tip...save your money, put together a rudimentary system, and wear a respirator.  When you have every tool you've ever wanted, build a legit DC system.

I'd recommend liking at the information on Down To Earth Woodworking. His name is Stephen Johnson and he has done a review on Dust Collectors and had a spread sheet that shows his heading system for several systems. He also has an article in the latest Highland Woodwork newsletter on Air Cleaners. Worth reading.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk