Two picture frames

Andy Wright

I got some time in the shop last night and today and made two picture frames.

First frame is for a rooster painting my wife and I bought at a small gallery in New Orleans a few months ago. Its a simple frame built from walnut with a boiled linseed oil finish

Second frame is built from everyone's favorite material  - RECLAIMED LUMBER. It is the lid from an antique soap box, with the original paper label. The frame is made from an old pine 2x6, complete with iron stained nail holes. Finish is a light sanding followed by paste wax

IMG_20160514_223627257.jpg

IMG_20160514_221621242.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Frames look great Andy! Did the BLO take a long time to dry on the walnut frame?

Its still not completely dry - it will probably take a week or so, but I was able to put the picture in and hang it so it can dry the rest of the way on the wall

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

Nice frames Andy.  It looks like you used splines to reinforce the mitres in the second frame, did you do the same in the first frame?

I built the walnut frame in two parts (inner layer  and outer layer). I added a spline to the inner layer of the frame for strength, but it doesn't show. The outer layer of the frame is wrapped around the inner frame with a shallow dado. The outer layer of the frame is edge glued to the inner layer so it didn't need a spline for strength and I didn't want want one for decorative purposes