Do I have a bad blade.

Ronn W

I have a 3/8" x 4 tpi blade on my Laguna 14 Twelve band saw.  I have tried several times to align the fence for ripping.  I used Marc's method of ripping part way through a piece, stopping, measuring the and angle and transferring that angle to the fence.  When that did not work I tried adjusting the angle to be a little greater. When that didn't work I adjust the angle slightly the other way.  In all cases that blade tends to pull the work piece away from the fence.  I have dressed the back edge of the blade. If there is a difference in the set of the teeth between the right and left sides of the blade I would say that I can feel more set on the right side than on the left, but the difference, at least to my fingers, is slight.  This is the 2nd Laguna blade of this width and pitch that I cannot get to track straight.  Maybe I should just use this blade for freehand work.

Any ideas  or comments?  What brand of blades do you use?

First, make sure you're piece is square.  Second, draw a straight line and then cut along that line.  When you get about 1/2 way through the board, shut down the machine holding the board in place.  Clamp the board in place and then align the fence to match to board.

That's the way that I set mine and don't have any issues.

If the saw is not tracking true no blade will perform correctly.  I suppose two blades could be made from the same bad stock but, this would be the first I had run into such a coincidence.  Is the table (and three for the fence rail) possibly out of square with the feed path?

6 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

To not chase your tail,  just ensure the rest of the saw is set up perfectly before touching the fence.   Adjusting for drift when the setup is crap is useless and a waste of time. 

Agree with Brendon..  I'm assuming the saw is set up properly.  I think Marc also has a band saw set up video or at at least follow the manufacturer's set up procedures.  I don't have a Laguna but, didn't have any issues setting up a couple Grizzlys.

This morning I changed blades took the 3/8" off and put a 3/4" 3TPI blade on.  I check the entire set up - table, guides, tracking,etc.  The only thing that I noticed was that the ceramic guides were not set close enough to the blade. I adjust that and then set the fence per Marc's video just like before and then ripped a 24" piece of poplar.  The piece stayed on the fence and, although this blade does not have the smoothest cut, measured the thin cut off piece at 9/64 leading end, middle and trailing end.  Perfect.  So, I think that my setup method is OK.  I think it was the tooth set on the 3/8" blade that was pulling the blade to the left towards the fence and then the tension in the blade would pull the wood away form the fence.

Anybody agree or am I all wet?

I have to admit that the problem with that 3/8" blade was causing me to avoid my band saw when there was another way to do something.  This saw is a relatively new addition to my shop and my first band saw.  I will get another 3/8" or 1/2" blade and hopefully I will like my band saw again.

I had the same problem with my Grizzly at first. Set the tension on the blade a little tighter and problem was solved. I found that if the tension isn't tight enough it allows the blade to twist to easily and it will follow the grain of the wood rather than cut through it. Just what I have found.

• Like 1