Scrap Pile or Landfill?

Rex Edgar

Am I the only one who cannot bear to part with a scrap of wood 'that I may be able to use at a later time?" If I am not by my lonesome, what defines if the wood is worth keeping or it needs to go? How is the wood kept/sorted so that without much bother you can scan the scraps for that 'perfect' piece when the need arises?

I use my hardwood scraps after they get too small to light the charcoal grill. I'm also thinking about experimenting with making charcoal. It's an easy process and requires starting a fire both of which sound like they could be done on the weekend with friends and beverages.

I pretty much throw away any 3/4" thick wood under 12-18" long unless there is something special about the species or grain. For thick or exotic stock, I go on a case by case basis.

I remember when I first started woodworking I hated to throw wood away, but now I have so much material stacked up in my shop and barn that I have trouble finding a place to store it all. In fact, I have a mahogany front door that we tore out of our house a couple of months ago and I need salvage it but I don't really have space to properly stack and store the wood so it is just leaning against the wall in my carport.

I am also a little concerned about reusing the door because I have heard that using reclaimed lumber is a gateway drug to pallet projects :)

IMG_20160516_161029044.jpg

Totally depends on species.  Big pieces of poplar get tossed, tiny specks of ebony dust is saved.

Build yourself a scrap bin that's out of your way.  When it fills up, make cutting boards and throw anything away that was too small to use.  Then start over.

16 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Cherry, maple or oak less than 12" long go in my smoker. Then I the meat and poop it out and the circle of life is complete. 

Other species less than 12" go in my fireplace. 

i am getting more and more picky about grain and color match in my projects, which means that random shorts and cutt offs have limited use.  

TMI!

I personally wish I could throw every single scrap out. Maybe because I don't have a good way to store them yet. I'm storing them in a garbage can. If I thought the garbage guys would pick it up I'd put it on the curb and start fresh just to reduce clutter. 

Little Pieces: Trash

Chunks (common hardwood): Firewood, for either camping or back yard wiener roasts.

Chunks (exotics & oddities): They just sit there, waiting patiently. Maybe some day I'll be good enough to use them.

Strips: Save for use or sacrificial.  2 ft is my length limit.  Any shorter they mostly go in the chunks pile/box.

15 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I use my hardwood scraps after they get too small to light the charcoal grill. I'm also thinking about experimenting with making charcoal. It's an easy process and requires starting a fire both of which sound like they could be done on the weekend with friends and beverages.

You forgot the large slabs of meat and perhaps a chicken or two.

I typically keep any hardwood that I can use for a cutting board (or larger).  Anything less normally get relegated to the fire wood box.  I continually give away firewood to friends with wood stoves, or this time f year, save t for camping.  Its surprising how fast it adds up,

Poplar, pine, and other softwoods go to the fire wood pile if they are not over about 20" long and 3 or 4" wide.  Just don't have room, and they pile up quick.

All construction grade (2x6, etc) go straight to firewood if cutoffs exist.

Plywood I cut down into blocks and make sanding blocks (80,100,120,150,180,220,400) by stapling sandpaper onto them.

I do really like @Tom Cancelleri's chopstick kit, and would save more hardwoods if I had one.  I may get one in the future.

41 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

How often do you all have fires? I have found that i have to start a gigantic blaze when ever i have a fire to burn enough wood to keep up. Even after that point i still have a ton sitting around waiting.

In the winter I take scraps and use my stanley block plane to make shavings to start a fire, and then I burn a bunch of scraps to get my logs going. It helps thin the scrap pile. I do this 2-3 times a week.

6 hours ago, Mike. said:

I can go through a ton of scraps very quickly in my fireplace.   I had a 50 gallon steel drum filled with scraps and burned it all in one morning.   Kiln dried hardwood burns fast and hot. 

this is very true. i used to store my cutoffs in those giant rubbermaid bins. i could burn one of those in a day, easy, when starting and stoking a fire in my woodstove.

unfortunately, i sold that house, so now i have to give away all my free heat.

I try to limit my scraps and extra material to certain area and shelves. When it hits capacity, I have a couple of guys that I call. 

One guy makes jewelry boxes so I try to feed him all the figured material. Another guy makes toys, so he does not care. 

Another way I use up scraps is let the grandkids build with them. 

When all other attempts at finding another home or use for the material fail, it ends up going to the dumpster or burning in the fire pit in the back yard. We just removed our woodturning stove last year so we no longer collect the heat value out of it for the house. 

Here you can see the scraps went to good use. There are a lot of hot glue sticks wrapped up in those projects too.

IMG_2154.jpg

Grandkids??? Todd, you look like your 40 years old ! Either you got started real early or you look awesome for your age.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just now, shaneymack said:

So I guess you arent 40....lol

No - I am 50.

If it helps reframe your thinking, my knees are blown, my hips don't engage when I get out of the work van and sometimes I go straight to the ground. My right elbow and shoulder are trashed, and some days I wake up with my fingers swollen like big sausages from the work I did the previous day. 

You might think I am joking, but sadly all of that is true. 

• Like 1

No - I am 50.

If it helps reframe your thinking, my knees are blown, my hips don't engage when I get out of the work van and sometimes I go straight to the ground. My right elbow and shoulder are trashed, and some days I wake up with my fingers swollen like big sausages from the work I did the previous day. 

You might think I am joking, but sadly all of that is true. 

Wow you are racked! Whats all that from?