Day Trip for Midwesterners

woodbutcher74

Just got my new issue of Woodcraft magazine. One of the articles is about woodworking travel destinations. The one I noticed to be within an hour to hour and a half from me is the Sawmill Museum in Clinton Iowa. They have replicas of loggers cabins and a display of giant cast iron planers and jointers. According to the article, the first Sunday of the month they fire up a diesel mill and demonstrate milling logs into lumber. They even have a train to haul the kiddies around the grounds. In case your interested the address is The Sawmill Museum, 2231 Grant Street, Clinton Ia. 

• Like 1

Is this mag available for free? I'm headed to Door county WI and was going to try and find some things to do to bore my GF. She never gives me good ideas for things to do while traveling so my plan is to make her so bored some comes up with some.

7 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Is this mag available for free? I'm headed to Door county WI and was going to try and find some things to do to bore my GF. She never gives me good ideas for things to do while traveling so my plan is to make her so bored some comes up with some.

No, I subscribe to it. The cover says to display til July 26,2016 so you might be able to buy just this issue and a book store or news stand. Check on line.

Good luck with Door County. Hope you love a fish boil. We went there a couple of years ago. I was pretty disappointed. We actually found Green Bay more fun. There was a great landscape/ outdoor store and a woodworking place down the street. Lambeau Field was a fun tour even for a die hard Bears fan. 

8 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I went to Door County last year for my first wedding anniversary. In October. It's nice. But really the only things there seem to be to do is eat and buy food. Oh and go stand on the rocks near Lake Michigan and see it from that side instead of from Chicago side.

1 hour ago, woodbutcher74 said:

No, I subscribe to it. The cover says to display til July 26,2016 so you might be able to buy just this issue and a book store or news stand. Check on line.

Good luck with Door County. Hope you love a fish boil. We went there a couple of years ago. I was pretty disappointed. We actually found Green Bay more fun. There was a great landscape/ outdoor store and a woodworking place down the street. Lambeau Field was a fun tour even for a die hard Bears fan. 

http://www.woodcraftmagazine.com/posts.php?id=269

Interesting that one in iowa looks awesome.

Here is my problem with the midwest, look at this deranged way to get there:

eww.png

Everything from central IL means going west for 45 mins then north or south then going back east. I don't know if it's this silly elsewhere or not.

1 minute ago, Cliff said:

Here is my problem with the midwest, look at this deranged way to get there:

eww.png

Everything from central IL means going west for 45 mins then north or south then going back east. I don't know if it's this silly elsewhere or not.

My entire state is one gigantic grid, it's impossible to get lost here because you can only go north and south or east and west.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

My entire state is one gigantic grid, it's impossible to get lost here because you can only go north and south or east and west.

And I would think the only viable direction for you is south. As in, to where all the cool stuff is :) Visited South Dakota about 6 years ago, good times there.

6 minutes ago, Cliff said:

And I would think the only viable direction for you is south. As in, to where all the cool stuff is :) Visited South Dakota about 6 years ago, good times there.

Only direction i ever go it seems is east on Fridays and then back west on Sunday. SD is pretty cool it's sinful how little I've gone there. I've begun to hate where i live. If i want to do anything that fits in my idea of fun it's at least a 2 hour drive in any direction. Not like a 2 hour have to drive across a city either it's a 2 hours 170 mile drive. Yes i drive 85 everywhere.

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

Only direction i ever go it seems is east on Fridays and then back west on Sunday. SD is pretty cool it's sinful how little I've gone there. I've begun to hate where i live. If i want to do anything that fits in my idea of fun it's at least a 2 hour drive in any direction. Not like a 2 hour have to drive across a city either it's a 2 hours 170 mile drive. Yes i drive 85 everywhere.

85 is a good number. I know the feeling. I'm in a town of 30k people in the middle of two larger 100,000+ cities, but both are 45 mins away. Even they don't exactly have everything I want. There is one woodworking store within 2 hours of me. Then of course there is Chicago 200 miles to the NE. It's my own fault, moving back to my home town. I just never thought I'd be here 8 years with many more planned!

I am *sorta* fortunate in one regard. I work in one of those bigger cities, so every morning I drive 45-50 miles. So I can at least hit a Home Depot on my way home from work. Or a Harbor Freight.. or Chipotle, Panera, etc. All the things that my town does not have.

9 hours ago, Cliff said:

85 is a good number. I know the feeling. I'm in a town of 30k people in the middle of two larger 100,000+ cities, but both are 45 mins away. Even they don't exactly have everything I want. There is one woodworking store within 2 hours of me. Then of course there is Chicago 200 miles to the NE. It's my own fault, moving back to my home town. I just never thought I'd be here 8 years with many more planned!

I am *sorta* fortunate in one regard. I work in one of those bigger cities, so every morning I drive 45-50 miles. So I can at least hit a Home Depot on my way home from work. Or a Harbor Freight.. or Chipotle, Panera, etc. All the things that my town does not have.

Soon you'll have a Pizza Ranch and a Kohls. Wow.

2 hours ago, woodbutcher74 said:

Soon you'll have a Pizza Ranch and a Kohls. Wow.

Hah, yes. Two things I could do without. Kohls will directly compete against a couple of small shops locally, one of which my wife works at.