Going to talk to Grizzly tomorrow and need advice

bigarm

I am dying thinking this over.  From the advice I have gotten, I am going to go the electronic variable speed way.  I am going to go with Grizzly as the others are a good $1000 more.  I think I am down to these two models:GO766 or GO733.  Either one is plenty big enough.  People have reported good things about 766 but haven't read as much about 733.  Obviously there is a difference in size 22" vs 18".  The 733 is a little shorter which could be a plus for a 63 year old man with a bad neck, but I don't know if it is that much of a difference.  The 733 is more expensive which is a minus, but why is it more expensive?  If it is definitely better, then I would definitely go with it as the price difference isn't that much and shipping is the same.
Also, what accessories do I need right away?

I assume you're talking about a lathe but, the 2 numbers you've listed are very different.  One's a wood lathe and one's a metal lathe..  Please verify your numbers.  I think you might be talking about the G0766?

I have the G0462 and had good luck with it!  It's gotten me thru well over 100 turnings..

The accessories you "need" depend on what you want to turn.  Suggest a drill chuck and a jawed chuck as well as some decent turning tools.

I gave them both a cursory look...  But I like the look of the 766.  3HP (vs 2) and a sliding headstock (which I believe should allow you to slide to the end of the ways and turn a bigger bowl). 

Get a few tools...  Carbides are good to get started quickly but I prefer "traditional" tools - just because that's how I learned. I've started having my kids use the carbide tools because there's less to master.

Here's what I use:

spindle turning: roughing gouge, spindle gouge, scraper, skew chisel, parting tool  you can wait on the skew as its a more advanced tool and tricky to learn  

bowl turning: bowl gouges (I like to have a few so I can switch to a sharp one easily), parting tool, bowl scraper (big heavy one)

I haven't done any hollow form stuff yet, but I did just grab some tools to give it a try.

You'll want a jaw chuck as TIODS said, I like the one way stronghold, personally.  Those lathes come with a spur chuck and a live center so you're good to turn spindles  

And don't forget a face shield and turning smock. 

How owe will you be learning?  I went to classes and I've augmented with DVDs and YouTube. 

I plan on getting the 0766 when I upgrade, have seen a lot of guys post good things about it and it has good reviews on its site, haven't seen a thing posted about the other.  I use carbide which are easy to learn on and get started but I really want to learn to use traditional tools, you don't always get clean cuts using carbide which can make it a pain with sanding and all that.  I assume you'll be turning bowls since you're getting a big lathe like that, I got a super nova 2 chuck, i started out with a crappy one and it was like night and day when I got the super nova.  If you haven't turned before, I'd suggest starting out on small stuff even though you have the capacity to do whatever, my butt hole still puckers when I put a big chunk of wood on my lathe that has 12" swing on it haha.  Of course the slowest speed on mine is 600 rpms, so that makes it scary when you start it, at least at 100rpms it shouldn't be as scary.