Paw Print box

bob493

So.... my dad's pup is getting put to sleep tomorrow. I had to sneak around like a ninja to get the paw print in plaster without him knowing... thats been the hardest part  so far.

Anywho, this is my first "Real" woodworking project. I've done guitars for years, but thats a whole different animal. I want it to come out nice, and miters... ugh I had to redo it like 137 times. I narrowed down the problem and dialed in my issues, and Im pleased with the results.

I got my miters down perfect (edit: not "perfect" but no obvious gaps. I still need a lot of practice), but realized in "Shaping them" the box is now like 1/16th too small haha, but i figured out a solution.

Glue still drying, but I think you guys can see where im going with it.  You can see my first attempt at miters... I was like "lol nope!" But it's coming out well. I hope he loves it.

edit: pic looks wonky, but its square. The walnut spline things are sticking out pretty far.

20160517_162701_HDR.jpg

20160517_145103_HDR.jpg

20160517_153201_HDR.jpg

20160517_153209_HDR.jpg

thanks gents.

First I tried the miters on the table saw, but something aint right there, and i dont want to spend 3 weeks sorting that out. I remembered a scarf joint jig I made to cut 10.5 degree cuts for guitar necks, and simply made the jig 45 degrees and used the chop saw.

From there I actually used my larson honing guide, slid the sides in, and sanded the 45 flush. Came out surprisingly well and easy to do.

7 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Really neat ideas, both on the box and the way you're making up for the lost space. Will the paw print go in the box or be the lid?

Thanks.

Thought about it a few different ways, but its gonna be hung like a picture frame, and the impression will go inside the box more like a small shadow box.