Power in shop

adambaum

Ok, so it's really a garage.   We are going to do a new build house so I have two choices: 1) builder do electrical or 2) do electrical after build.

pro of #1 is that it will be warrantied by builder.  Also will be in wall.  

Pro of #2 is cost.  Can get outlets wherever I want. 

con of #1 are cost and limitation of outlet placement.  Can only get wall/ceiling mounted outlets. This is not a custom build so options are limited.

con of #2 are 3rd party warranty and possibly not hidden in wall.  Could get pricey if electrician has to cut into drywall to run wiring.

If you had a similar decision to make, which way did you go and why?

Why would you be limited in outlet location with #1? Surely the electrician can get the outlets where you want them. If you are adding outlets, they'll put em where ever you want.

If you do go with #2, be sure to do some reading & consult with your local SCA to make sure it's done right. It looks simple, but there are about a thousand ways for it to go wrong.

As someone who recently built, I'd say it really depends on your comfort with electrical work and what other finishes your builder is going to do.  

If your garage is just going to be open studs, I'd do it myself.  If they are going to insulate or sheetrock, I'd want it done by the pro just to ensure no schedule hiccups.  You may want to talk with the electrician about off book work.  My builder would ding us for every add with their mark up.  It's only 10%, but then the electrician has to charge you list price, its a silly amount.  When we did it, it ended up quoting almost $100 an outlet (list price).  Off book, he was willing to talk about the actual effort instead of the blanket crazy town price.  Since I essentially was just wanted a handful of outlets added where he was running wire anyway, it was much more reasonable ($20-$30 I can't remember). Still adds up quick though.  There's about $5-$10 of materials and 15 minutes of time, so its a matter of what your times worth and what your risk tolerance is.   

1 hour ago, drzaius said:

Why would you be limited in outlet location with #1? Surely the electrician can get the outlets where you want them. If you are adding outlets, they'll put em where ever you want.

If you do go with #2, be sure to do some reading & consult with your local SCA to make sure it's done right. It looks simple, but there are about a thousand ways for it to go wrong.

I'm limited in that the builder won't put any outlets in the floor and near certain components, such as the water heater.  The garage is setup as a 4 car tandem.  So roughly 20x40.   I asked if they could run a pipe/pvc/something for electrical towards a particular area during the pour of the garage floor and they said no.  So I asked then if they could do it during the electrical install phase of the house biuld, and again they said no. 

52 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

If you do go with option #2, at least have the builder run a subpanel to the garage to get you started.

Don't really need a subpanel.  They put in huge panels to begin with and it is attached to the outer wall of the garage.  There's enough free space for 4 dedicated 220v and 6 dedicated 110v circuits.     That's more than plenty.  I work off of 2x 220v and 2 x 110v right now.   I never run more than two 220v items at a time: DC and then whatever tool.  

Adam

Definitely going to hire out.  It will either be the builder's electrical team or some other licensed & bonded electrician. 

Yeah it's nice that your panel is already nearby ... But aside from convenience, I think the bigger motivation is that it's safer to add new circuits to a subpanel because you can kill power to the sub while making your connections.  I've added directly to the panel, sure, just saying, it's a nice perk, and gives the benefit of 'locking down' all your tools for safety when you're not around and kids might be. 

Unless you have your shop plans 100% determined ahead of time it's not possible to have all of the outlets right where you want them.  I would have extra 4 plex outlets put in and surface mount additional outlets from those when you locate your machines.

I have just 110v in my basement shop and I solved the outlet problem by making heavy duty extension chords of 12 ga romex, a plug and 4 plex metal outlet boxes.  Ran extension chord from outlet to location I wanted and surface mounted the box.  Easy to do and easy to move them if needed. Using conduit would be more durable but less flexible.  When I move, all I have to do is unplug the extension chords and unscrew the boxes from the wall. 

I used the shotgun approach & just put a variety of 120V, 15 & 20A; 240V, 20 & 30A receptacles on the side walls. I've only had to add a few outlets since, using conduit on the front wall (where the panel is). But then, I'm an electrician & I was also the builder, so it wasn't a big deal.

I would certainly consider putting a subpanel in the garage though. Just make it that much easier down the road.

Good luck with this. It's great fun setting up a new shop.

I would and did do my own and that is the only way i would do it. Having said that regardless of who is doing it I would have a 100amp sub panel in the shop its not as much an issue of space but convenience. If you pop a breaker i know never happens but... do you want to run into the house, basement, etc? Also if you will have attic access I would ask them to put a empty conduit from the sub panel into the attic just in case (when) you want that next great tool that requires a dedicated 220 you have easy access. Have fun with the new build!

I'd run a sub panel, and put it all on the surface.  If you put it in the wall, even if you have a thorough plan to start with, you'll end up wanting to change later some kind of way.  A Sub panel shouldn't cost That much, and you won't have to work inside a hot panel when the time comes for a change, or addition.

Installing, or changing electrical is easy if you can get to everything, and don't have to worry about getting shocked.

I would go with option #2. I wired my shop after the fact by adding a subpages in the garage. It was easy because the main panel is on the other side of the wall, like yours. I used all EMT conduit as it is actually easy to bend once you get the hang of it. I have 18 circuits and automatic dust collector control for my main tools. I can change it anytime I want without messing up the walls. Funny part was that the contractor/developer delayed getting final inspection, so all of it is legal. ?