Christmas 2016 / 2017

..Kev

1 minute ago, Chet K. said:

Great looking work Kev.  How do you get the business end into the handle tight enough to stay put?

3/8" hole and a threaded insert.  So, they're removable so that they can go in the dishwasher without the handle.

1 minute ago, shaneymack said:

Very nice Kev ! What finish did you use?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

ARS..  I thread a bolt into the threaded insert to act as a handle, apply the finish, and then clamp the bolt into a parallel clamp till dry.  Funny part is that I had more clamps than bolts..  Might have to pick some up so I can finish more than 10 at a time ;)

• Like 1

Those look really good. I also really like the bench it makes an excellent backdrop for projects.

1 minute ago, K Cooper said:

I'm sure it comes with the territory but, what is the second pic of? Really cool turning job btw.

Cheese slicer/cutter?

27 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Kev, does the wenge come off the turning is a shotgun blast of splinters?

Once the blank is actually round, it actually turns pretty decent.

And, here's the Sapele ones..  Purple Heart and Maple tomorrow, that's it for one day!

XQzKzn.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

Great turning Kev and some nice wood used too.

Thanks Terry..  Believe it or not, it's all shop scrap from other projects.  2 more to get turned this morning and I'll be done..  Pictures soon!

Wonderful variety Kev. I guess you'll be feeling pretty smug when we're all scrambling to get our holiday projects done in November. ;)

Are you putting some dye in the thin decorative lines, or is that just the shadow of the photo? The lines look really "contrasty" in the maple handles.

9 hours ago, TIODS said:

Well, went back out after dinner and decided to do a couple more..  Here's the Maple..

SsgETl.jpg

47 minutes ago, davewyo said:

Wonderful variety Kev. I guess you'll be feeling pretty smug when we're all scrambling to get our holiday projects done in November. ;)

Are you putting some dye in the thin decorative lines, or is that just the shadow of the photo? The lines look really "contrasty" in the maple handles.

The lines are actually burned in.  I cut the groove and then use a shim held in the line until it's burnt in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TIODS said:

The lines are actually burned in.  I cut the groove and then use a shim held in the line until it's burnt in.

Interesting. It works really well.

Are you saying you use a common wood construction shim, or is there a turner's tool called a shim?

59 minutes ago, davewyo said:

Interesting. It works really well.

Are you saying you use a common wood construction shim, or is there a turner's tool called a shim?

Just a standard door shim is all I use..  There might be better ways but, that's always worked well for me.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Just a standard door shim is all I use..  There might be better ways but, that's always worked well for me.

Well I've not thought of using burning as a feature. I'm usually trying to avoid burning if at all possible. It works perfectly in this application.

Thanks Kev! I learned something new today, and the day is just getting going...:)

• Like 1