Wine cabinet V1

Brendon_t

@Brendon_t If this is your first time with a whole project in ketchup I'd say your off to a good start this looks really nice. I like the design. Only Thing that sticks out to me is is this going to run to the floor or is there going to be a 3" gap for a toe kick area thingy? If the design was intended to be this way cool but i don't know if I'd appreciate kicking the top of a bottle of wine that sounds painful.

21 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Like duhhh, levitation...

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Not everyone is a level 99 Wizzard.

19 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

Is the area on the top left just additional storage for bottles, or is it different in some way? 

(I know nothing about wine, just curious)

Yes.  The left of the cabinets is for whites. He drinks reds almost exclusively but needs a few spots for the occasional chardonnay.

16 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I am wondering how the wall hung sloped individual bottle shelves will fare in an earthquake. Drawing looks good to me, Sketchup frustrated the hell out of me so I gave up and went back to old school full size drawings.

NOT WELL. At all. This is brought up to him.  This area is actually totally off of the main path. The design of those holders came from our cigar bar. They have them all over the bar. I wouldn't want to be there in a shake. 

13 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I just learned that you have a much better set of surface textures in Sketchup than I do! And you have a very nice design for that cabinet.

Thanks. Those were just done of the stock textures.

5 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Looks great! I look forward to watching the build.

Thanks.  I'll definately journal it once it starts. I'm working a grip of hours right now and barely have enough time to wipe after I crap. 

1 hour ago, SawDustB said:

Looks good! How are the bottle holders on the left going to be supported?

The back of them is actually an extension of the back of the glass cabinet which will be 3/4" walnut cabinet grade ply. I'm thinking a single domino to get them set then two 4" spax screws from the back will be plenty. I will be testing the concept before long. 

And levitation..

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

@Brendon_t If this is your first time with a whole project in ketchup I'd say your off to a good start this looks really nice. I like the design. Only Thing that sticks out to me is is this going to run to the floor or is there going to be a 3" gap for a toe kick area thingy? If the design was intended to be this way cool but i don't know if I'd appreciate kicking the top of a bottle of wine that sounds painful.

Not everyone is a level 99 Wizzard.

Good looking. Yes.  It will be raised and a kick installed. 

One thing I didn't mention is that he also asked me to build a standing height table that will stand in front of the cabinet by a window with a great view of downtown LA.

• Like 1

So if you have had enough wine you can ride out the big one ? 

A domino and 2 screws sounds like sufficient support to me. I wonder if a big rubber band wouldn't keep a bottle in place through a reasonably survivable tremor.  If things get so serious that bottles escape the lower racks all bets are off anyways.  If the question is brought up and the client prefers style over risk it is a sharp looking design !

On May 19, 2016 at 8:22 PM, Brendon_t said:

Beverly Hills. The building is behind the Peninsula Hotel. About 2 blocks from the office. 

I have multiple friends in that neck of the woods?. So this project is going to be enough for you to justify a domino?

9 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

You either didn't send out announcements or I missed it! And if you haven't used it, you have been too busy to wipe?

OR you're getting old because you were the third comment and we had a pm discussion about it last month. 

15 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

What's up "neighbor" what say you drive that bad boy over to my place for a beer and a test drive. If it is taking up space, feel free to leave it here for a while.

Ha who are you kidding.  With a newborn,   you'll have less time in the shop then my domino has been used

8 hours ago, Mike. said:

I would not store bottles right next to the fridge.  Refrigerators kick off enough heat to spoil a bottle. Maybe flank the fridge with a couple narrow shelves the width of two bottles to protect the bottles stored in the lower section.  

Great point I have already run into.  I'm going to insulate the  sides next to the cooler.   The ones we are looking at also exhaust heat down toward the ground rather than pushing it out the back like a normal fridge does