stain/no stain?

Larry Moore

I would like some suggestions on finishing this coffee table. It is made of Elm, I would like to darken the grain slightly but (always a but) there are walnut and mahogany Dutchmen and a walnut leg that I don't think will look good if stained. I have considered oil with shellac sealer and then a waterborne top coat for durability.

20160516_105106_resized.jpg

20160516_105049_resized_2.jpg

4 minutes ago, AceHoleInOne said:

Yep, ARS.

Larry, what's that little guy on the wall next to the electrical outlet, looks like a soap dispenser. Line dryer? 

-Ace-

If you mean that black thing by the door it's the hanger for vacuum accessories. Or the thing on the door is the back of my digital key pad lock

I don't want to just dismiss ARS. It is what I normally use but I did not think it would provide the water stain scuff protection of Crystalac which is what I've used for a spray on top coat for years. I just have never tried to spray it over an oil base finish before. I know ARS will give me the grain highlight I'm looking for.

3 hours ago, RichardA said:

I'm of the belief, that once the project is sold, after you've done your best to give it a long life, that the consumer will do whatever the hell they want with it. And all your effort, goes into getting it sold!  After that, don't concern yourself with it.  If the consumer brings it back to you when they've screwed it up, you can double your money for the repair!

Yep that's what I was thinking.

Cool looking piece of Elm.

Aj

Neither amber shellac nor straight oil will add much darkness to the wood that ARS doesn't already add.

Honestly I find it kind of odd when I hear comments like "it's not as dark as I wanted it to be"...why?  It is what it is.  It looks exactly how it's supposed to look.  I never really understood all this manipulation of wood color.  What's the point?  The color cannot be improved upon beyond how Mother Nature made it look.  Cannot.  It is what it is.  Embrace it.