How to freeze/harden bent wood into a shape

Check out the picture below. He takes a walnut blank, that's about 2" x 2", then makes patterned slices into it on the band saw, so that you can "open" up the blank into this weird shape. That part I get. What I can't see if how the wood stays in this fanned out shape without and struts or braces to hold it open. He must use some kind of chemical, glue, spray, hardener, or something to get it to freeze like that. Anyone got any ideas? 

bird-in-space-630x945-c-default.jpg

It looks like a square piece of wood with partial rips top to bottom and then side to side.Could have a chamber that steamed the whole thing (with a jig of course).??  I can't see the finish that well but I m glad I didn't have to sand it.

Really quite beautiful.

Just now, wdwerker said:

Pretty sure it's not ridgid. Tension from the twist in each small strip would force it apart and leave the whole thing springy.

I know for sure it is all one piece of wood. It isn't twisted and glued together. He takes a block of wood, and on a bandsaw, he rips slivers 1/8" apart, but does not complete the rip all the way to the end. He stops like, 2" from the end. Then flips the board vertically, and cuts another 1/8" rip from the opposite direction. At the end of that, he has a kind of wooden slinky.

Then he rotates the blank one turn, and does the same thing again bisecting the rips that he already had. Then... when you pull the ends apart in both directions, it fans out in a N/S and E/W kind of way. I just can't figure out how it get it to stay that way and not just collapse back into a blank with a lot of cuts in it.

Maybe he steams the whole piece after he has ripped it to death, and then quickly pulls it out of the steam box, and jams little wedges in all the little "crotches" of these rip cuts to force them to splay open. And then overnight, it just hardens like that.