Pallet wood...

SawDustB

1 minute ago, shaneymack said:

Theres some idiot somewhere willing to pay 500$ for that set...

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Or post them in the showcase section of a wood working forum ;)

This is the second time since I've been here that I've seen that posted.  Fortunately, I think this one was done tongue & cheek but, the first one, they guy was serious.

• Like 2

Or post them in the showcase section of a wood working forum

This is the second time since I've been here that I've seen that posted.  Fortunately, I think this one was done tongue & cheek but, the first one, they guy was serious.

But atleast he had a cool video to go with it If I remember correctly...

45 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Theres some idiot somewhere willing to pay 500$ for that set...

If that's the case, @shaneymack, I better go make more! I fished these out of my cutoff bin.

43 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Or post them in the showcase section of a wood working forum ;)

Guilty as charged. I was cleaning up and these reminded me of that very same post. :P These ARE actually related to the real project - my wife wants me to make another couple of matching picture frames for the one I posted a few months back (Picture frame for my baby daughter).

This is wood that I scavenged from a couple of large pallets used for shipping sheet metal at my work. They're a LOT nicer than the usual junk you'd see in pallets, and I found some interesting wood after cleaning some of it up.

I remember a guy that thought he'd get rich by turning his 2x4 cutoffs into coasters. He even held out on posting his "design" because he thought we'd steal it.

At least these have nail holes in them. Glue on some twine, and you have a winner! 

• Like 2

I remember a guy that thought he'd get rich by turning his 2x4 cutoffs into coasters. He even held out on posting his "design" because he thought we'd steal it.

At least these have nail holes in them. Glue on some twine, and you have a winner! 

That's part of my packaging plan!

de6d6aebd859b542ddee076dd284d6ac.jpg

• Like 2

They look too thick, i don't know about you but my drinks are afraid of heights. Can you resaw them into 2 separate pieces and include some of the band saw blade marks.

Interesting idea... There are some nail bits, and I have no band saw, so might be challenging. I think it would be in keeping with the style to do it with a reciprocating saw, add some randomness to the saw kerf.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

Interesting idea... There are some nail bits, and I have no band saw, so might be challenging. I think it would be in keeping with the style to do it with a reciprocating saw, add some randomness to the saw kerf.

Ooo that's a good Idea then you could get some slope on the coaster and channel the condensation runoff directly off the table so there is less cleanup.

I see the twine, where's Colin lurking?      

I tried to salvage some pallet wood a while back, seemed like a good idea. Mine were assembled with ring shank nails, near impossible to remove w/o destroying the wood.

I wouldn't ever bother with normal pallets... not enough (decent) wood to make it worth it. Even these ones are questionable. I still haven't used up the wood i got from taking apart two of them.

So now that we've had our fun, here's the material I'm actually planning to use for the picture frames.

fb82bce1b7982e9a38507dda24da9b55.jpg

I'm thinking I may do half laps for the frames this time, instead of the dovetails. It still needs some thought... the dovetails looked good on the other frame, but were a pain in the butt to cut.

After I got the clamps off, I realized my glue up slipped in the clamps, leaving me with a gap. I cut a tiny sliver from one of the "coasters" and shaped it using the belt sander. I glued it into the gap. It should be good after I sand everything.

0ad3ff7b39ff5a137aaec9201c07bfba.jpg

Next, I trimmed all the half laps with a flush cut saw and flushed up the worst face mismatch on the half laps. Even though the advice was that the cranked neck wasn't an urgently needed tool, I quite like it for this task.

7ed8e5f147410d81e71a2f8e266b062c.jpg

This frame is looking good..Hard to see where you fixed it..Is it going to need a rabbit in the back and what finish are you going to use?..Oh ya,,Hope you dont drop something on your foot.

Thanks! The fix is in the upper left in the first picture, and the lower left in the second. It mostly vanished after removing the excess. I'm usually good about wearing steel toes in the shop, but it was a hot day and I was only out there for half an hour... I'm planning to use rattle can lacquer on this (semi gloss?) since that's on the other frame in the room.